Job summary and Responsibilities
Please note this is a part time contract – annualised hours 106 per year. Therefore the actual salary range is from £995.44 up to £1049.79 per annum.
Our Youth Support Workers work with young people completing their Duke of Edinburgh's Award, supporting them to complete all sections, including their expeditions. They contribute to the development and delivery of a programme of imaginative activities, encouraging the active participation of young people in developing their skills and understanding of others and the world around them.
Work with young people by
• Making contact and establishing relationships with young people.
• Encouraging and enabling young people to participate in a range of personally challenging activities.
• Ensuring access to information and personal support, which enables young people to develop the confidence and skills to become creative, active and critical participants in the wider community.
• To deliver informal education programmes to young people
• Motivate young people and facilitate young people’s learning
• Contribute to and promote the programme to ensure that opportunities are accessible to all who wish to become involved
• As part of the team involve young people in the decision-making processes whereby individuals and groups take on responsibilities for themselves and others in their project and the wider community
• Negotiate with young people on their involvement in the programme planning, implementation and evaluation
• As part of the team respond to individual and group needs, this includes issues affecting young people, promoting self-awareness and self-esteem
• Build relationships and relate well to young people to support their engagement in the programme
• Develop work with young people to achieve planned outcomes
• Ensure ECC H&S and Child Protection/ Safeguarding Guidelines (SET) are followed and that all concerns are reported promptly.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Qualified at level 2 or above in a JNC recognised Youth Work Qualification or be prepared to undertake and have completed required training and accreditation within 2 years of starting.
• Excellent level of numeracy, literacy (GCSE A – C or equivalent or demonstrable experience) and ICT
• Experience of working with young people which may be in a voluntary role
• Ability to build relationships and relate well to young people
• Ability to motivate young people and facilitate young people’s learning
• Commitment to challenging prejudice and ignorance
• Ability to develop work with young people to achieve planned outcomes
• Ability to work as part of a team
• The job role requires you to be mobile throughout an operational area. Depending on the geographical area, access to a vehicle or another efficient mode of transport will be required
• Ability to work across Essex as per service needs
• Ability to undertake evening, weekend, residential work as required in order to meet service needs
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to https://www.gov.uk/dbs-update-service.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on https://www.workingforessex.com/benefits
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0333 013 5888.