As one of the world’s leading analytical instrumentation companies, Bruker covers a broad spectrum of advanced solutions in all fields of research and development. All our systems and instruments are designed to improve safety of products, accelerate time-to-market and support industries in successfully enhancing quality of life. We’ve been driving innovation in analytical instrumentation for 50 years now. Today, worldwide more than 6,000 employees are working on this permanent challenge, at over 70 locations on all continents.
The function of the X-ray FluorescenceApplications Scientist is to work with colleagues in the X-ray division team in supporting existing users and attracting new customers through scientific and technical support and training.
The primary objectives are:
- to enhance the potential for sales through high-standard instrument demonstrations and technical explanations.
- to providetraining to new XRF users and to our existing customer base when required adapting to the requirements and experience of the users
- to further the Company’s reputation by providing fast technical support to the existing XRF customer base.
Activities will cover both Energy Dispersive and Wavelength Dispersive XRF techniques used by the benchtop and floor-standing XRF products manufactured or represented by the Company,
Job duties will include the following tasks:
- being responsible for the new state-of-the-art XRF application laboratory at our Coventry Bruker UK location
- providing support for existing users, including training of new users, mainly at the customer’s site, but also at formal training courses held at the Coventry laboratories
- customer support by telephone, web and email, which may involve resolving problems using in-house equipment and liaising with colleagues in the service and applications departments both in the UK and abroad
- carrying out demonstrations of XRF equipment to a highly professional standard, usually at our Coventry demonstration laboratory, and assisting in the upkeep of in-house instrumentation
- working with our X-ray sales team in other sales related activities, such as providing technical information to prospective customers, via telephone or email, or by accompanying sales specialists at meetings with prospective customers
- scientific support of the X-ray service team with appropriate specialist scientific input, by direct telephone and web-based assistance, carrying out tests in the Coventry laboratory or, occasionally, by working at the customer’s premises
- identifying and compiling suitable application data for marketing material, as well as assisting the preparation and execution of marketing presentations for workshops and trade shows
- supporting development of components, instruments and software
All duties will be carried out in a timely fashion to meet internally and externally imposed deadlines, and to a very high standard of presentation.
The position reports to the X-ray Division Manager at Bruker UK, who will set day-to-day priorities, agree expectations, offer guidance as necessary and provide framework support. The position would also be an integral member of the larger EURAF XRF application team and thus some duties may also be assigned from the Head of XRF Applications, based in Karlsruhe, Germany.
The position is based at our Coventry office. Although frequent travel within the UK and abroad is an essential part of the job, regular attendance at the Coventry office will be a requirement of the job and it is a necessity to be located within a commutable distance. In the first twelve months, extensive application and product training will be provided and this will involve extended trips to our headquarters in Karlsruhe, Germany potentially for periods of up to a month at a time.
To carry out the duties to the level expected, the minimum competencies are:
- outgoing and good at building relationships through inspiring trust and confidence
- a very high degree of scientific credibility and ability to discuss and persuade at both an academic and industrial level
- self-motivation and a willingness to work with others toward a shared goal
- the ability to contribute to a team effort, yet to accept responsibility for an individual role within the team
- well organised and able to decide priorities in a rapidly changing commercial environment
- willingness to travel and to work away from home, throughout the UK, Ireland and occasionally in mainland Europe
- a very high standard of personal presentation
- a Master or PhD level qualification or equivalent in an appropriate science discipline such as Chemistry, Physics or Geosciences
- experience in using XRF instrumentation
- candidates without formal high level qualifications but with a significant employment history in the field of XRF will also be considered
- current valid driving licence
- no visa or other restriction preventing travel in the USA or EU
Skills and Experience
- a good understanding of the principles of XRF spectroscopy, and of XRF hardware and software
- practical experience of operating modern Bruker XRF equipment is desirable but extensive training will be provided
- ability to understand and adapt to the requirements of customers and to set-up and prepare instrumentation to meet those needs, both in the demonstration environment and at customers’ own laboratories
- a good working knowledge of MS-Office for document generation and presentations
- excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken.
The achievement of set objectives, training requirements and further career development possibilities will be assessed by means of an annual review.