Volunteer Sales Assistant
'Help us to help others'
Salvation Army Trading Company Ltd (SATCoL) is the trading arm of The Salvation Army in the UK and Republic of Ireland. We were established in 1991 to help fund The Salvation Army’s vital work with vulnerable people in the UK, and today we raise money and encourage reuse and recycling through a network of over 240 charity shops, 2 Superstores, 10Donation Centres and a rapidly expanding clothing collection division, all of which is constantly growing and developing.
With the support of the British public, we have been able to donate millions of pounds to The Salvation Army – over £43 million has been donated in the last five years alone, helping to fund the extensive and very important work that The Salvation Army carries out– including homelessness and addiction services, care for older people, help at emergency incidents, support for adult victims of human trafficking in England and Wales and a Family Tracing Service.
If you want to be a part of our success and to play a part in helping others whilst volunteering for a fantastic company, then read on!
Are you looking to gain experience in the retail sector? On the other hand, do you have previous retail experience that you could put to use and know that you are making a difference supporting The Salvation Army?
We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic and responsible people with excellent people skills to become or train to be volunteer key holders in our busy shop. This is a fantastic opportunity to develop skills and enhance your CV or a chance to take on a volunteer role with more responsibility as the role progresses at your own pace.
What you will be doing:
- Opening and closing the shop
- Dealing with customer queries
- Selling products at the till
- Supporting other volunteers
- Maintaining front of house standards
How we can help our volunteers:
- Give skills, training and experience of working within a retail environment that could assist with future job searches
- The opportunity of developing new skills and the chance to utilise existing skills
- The ability to be part of a shop team and to make new friends
- The chance to gain a recognised NVQ qualification (dependent on criteria)
- Build confidence
- Support from our divisional Salvation Army colleagues in times of need, if required
This role is an unpaid role but reasonable travel expenses will be paid in line with the volunteer expense policy, along with 25% discount on all purchases and a fantastic employee benefits platform giving a 24/7 advice helpline and 100's of high street benefits, amongst others.
The time commitment for this role is flexible and will be agreed in advance with the charity Shop Manager, but if you have any available hours to spare then please apply now as we would love to talk to you.