Help us to help others
The Salvation Army Trading Company Ltd (SATCoL) is the trading arm of The Salvation Army in the UK and Republic of Ireland. We were established in 1991 to help fund The Salvation Army’s vital work with vulnerable people in the UK, and today we raise money and encourage reuse and recycling through a network of over 200 charity shops, 2 Superstores, 3 Donation Centres and a clothing collection division, all of which is constantly growing and developing.
With the support of the British public, we have been able to donate millions of pounds to The Salvation Army – over £35 million has been donated in the last five years alone, helping to fund the extensive and very important work that The Salvation Army carries out– including homelessness and addiction services, care for older people, help at emergency incidents, support for adult victims of human trafficking in England and Wales and a Family Tracing Service.
If you want to be a part of our success and to play a part in helping others whilst volunteering for a fantastic company, then read on!
We are looking for people who are interested in volunteering in a retail environment - you may have a specialism that you would love to develop eg books, bric a brac; have a passion for fashion or just want to play a part in helping to sort the donations that we are very kindly given and make them ready for sale - whatever your interest we would love to talk to you.
The role of a volunteer varies, but could involve:-
- Providing friendly customer service to all visitors to the shop
- Serving customers at the till
- Receiving and sorting donations from the general public
- Signing up new Gift Aid Donors
- Replenishing stock to ensure the shop is well stocked and displayed
The ideal volunteer will have:
An interest in charity retail
A willingness to help and make a difference
Be able to work with a team
A friendly and helpful nature
The ability to listen to and take instructions
A commitment to the ethos of The Salvation Army
How we can help our volunteers:
- Give skills, training and experience of working within a retail environment that could assist with future job searches
- The opportunity of developing new skills and the chance to utilise existing skills
- The ability to be part of a shop team and to make new friends
- The chance to gain a recognised NVQ qualification (dependent on criteria)
- Build confidence
- Support from our divisional Salvation Army colleagues in times of need, if required
This role is an unpaid role but reasonable travel expenses will be paid in line with the volunteer expense policy, along with 25% discount on all purchases.
The time commitment for this role is flexible and will be agreed in advance with the charity Shop Manager, but if you have any available hours to spare then please apply now as we would love to talk to you