Signal Noise reinvents how people see and use data.
We create experiences that drive clients towards their ambitions while challenging the way people think about the world. All shaped by our own Data-Design philosophy – a compelling new approach for building products, telling stories and imagining new futures.
And we're looking for talented people to join what we believe is a rare kind of agency. One that balances global reputation with youthful energy and wide-eyed ambition. We're part of the world-leading Economist Group, yet still driven by the same independent spirit that fuelled our startup a decade ago.
So what would you work on at Signal Noise?
We're not defined by our past projects, so a list would only tell half the story. Yes, we create digital products, experiential installations and interactive web pieces, along with much more you can't easily classify.
But it's the work we haven't done yet that's really exciting. The experiments with format that could kickstart entirely new categories. You don't join us to do your old job in a different place. You come to us because you've got bigger plans.
And because you want to learn.
We give you flexible hours, one day a week at home, and a supportive environment where you're valued not just for what you can do now, but what you can turn into talents while you're here.
We want you to push at the edges of what’s possible. In a place that values and sharpens your craft, challenging you to create work that genuinely hasn’t been done before.
Join us and do something special.
This is an exciting time for Signal Noise as we continue to build on our client base. To help us achieve this, we are seeking a Visual Design Lead.
This role is for an experienced digital designer that can work at the intersection of data, visual design and user experience. We are looking for a digital maker who can use design to bring ideas to life and data insights to fruition.
You will be part of the design team leadership at Signal Noise – working collaboratively with other senior members to lead projects into uncharted creative territories and synthesise new outcomes. Projects vary widely. From short to mid and long term. From consumer - to business facing and from browser to experiential solutions. Our Designers morph and stretch their skills to adapt to the medium, audience and business strategy – spanning a range of disciplines: data research, information design, UX and UI.
Your primary responsibility will be to lead individual projects as a hands on digital designer, but you should also be interested in improving the output of the studio as a whole.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Lead individual projects from a user experience, visual design and art direction perspective, ensuring standards are met and the quality bar is kept high
- Understand Visual Design as a multi-disciplinary practice and leverage data to enhance human experiences
- Be digital at heart – have a solid understanding of latest digital trends, and a mobile first approach when designing interfaces
- Hold high expectations and standards and be committed to excel – maintaining an open minded, cooperative and supportive mindset
- Research and strategic thinking to support new business development efforts
- Be a self-starter with high degree of initiative requiring minimal supervision
- Ability to prioritise and multi-task, handling multi projects at one time
- Guide and teach junior team members
- Help develop and maintain creative high standards across the studio in conjunction with other teams
- Help develop processes, boost culture and share knowledge with other team members
- Attend and support studio and community events and workshops
To succeed in the role you must have:
- 5+ years industry experience as a visual or digital designer with some studio or agency experience
- A good knowledge of the design industry, with particular specialist understanding of dataviz and user interface design.
- A proven ability to produce cutting edge creative work, and a master-level attention for typography, layout and motion.
- Experience working with developers and in a cross-disciplinary environment, collaborating with other practitioners to deliver the best end result
- Some experience mapping data and encoding information
- Excellent command of Adobe Creative Suite (XD, Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign, After Effects)
- Prototyping experience (Invision, Principal, Framer, Proto.io or similar)
- A passion for data-design, and visual communication
Ideally you’ll also:
- Have experience in a lead role, aligning strategy and execution
- Be comfortable talking to project stakeholders and clients
- Have some experience talking or writing about your work
- Has knowledge of visual, interactive and motion design trends, and is fluent in simple executions that make big statements
- Bachelor’s degree in design