Founded in 1998, Abcam PLC was an early pioneer of eCommerce in the life sciences industry and aptly, described as ‘the Amazon of antibodies’ in its early years and more recently, ‘the Apple of antibodies’. For multiple years, including 2017, Abcam was voted and awarded the ‘Best Website’ by life science researchers with millions of visits monthly. Today, Abcam is one of the top 5 most value companies listed on AIM with a market cap value of nearly £3B. The role of the VP of External Communications is to grow Abcam’s influence and reputation externally, building wider engagement and thought leadership positioning for the business. Ultimately aiming to drive Abcam’s ambition to become the most influential life science company.
The remit includes not only the media but also key industry influencers, partners, potential customers, senior industry decision makers, and trade bodies. This role will be primarily focused on growing influence beyond Abcam’s traditional customer base into the Pharma and Biotech markets.
Roles & Responsibilities
• Develop and implement a strategy and roadmap to engage a wider external audience in order to rapidly build profile and establish thought leadership credentials (1:1 level with industry individuals and on a 1:many level)
• Shift industry stakeholders’ perception of Abcam through media relations; re-educate media about who we are to promote our vision, and ensure that target audiences always have Abcam front of mind and in their consideration set
• Partner: Provide strategic communication advice to senior internal spokespeople for high profile industry interviews, articles and events; or where Abcam may be interacting with key industry associations to provide guidance on how we best engage and position ourselves
• Innovate: Identify potential opportunities or emerging challenges/issues and design strategies to manage them, while anticipating and incorporating appropriate communications tools and channels
• Create and deliver news-worthy, time driven, milestones/news hooks that will be of interest to the media being targeted but also can be used as content in social and other channels (newsletters).
• Create a prospective news calendar by strategically phasing the issuing of the news hooks to maximise impact and ensure an integrated approach working with the content team
• Maximise brand presence in all media channels available to Abcam
• Provide clear and effective external communications in response to crisis or emergency situations.
• Manage the PR manager and any PR agency relationships to best maximise a ‘divide and conquer’ approach to targeting media
• Manage the social media team to maximise channels and ensure appropriate tone of voice and content for each channel audience
You will be an experienced, broadly capable strategic thinker who can influence internally at C-suite level. You will have solid experience delivering successful PR campaigns in Pharmaceutical industry with the ability to foster long-term relationships with key professionals.
In addition you will have excellent communication and presentation skills with confidence and credibility to serve as the company’s spokesperson. Expertise in different social networks – most importantly LinkedIn and Twitter is critical for this role. You will be a creative, results focused individual with the ability guide a team, work at pace and adapt to change.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences please apply now!
With offices across the US, Europe, and Asia, Abcam is one of the leading life science companies today, achieving multi-year double digit growth with the aim of helping scientific researchers make breakthroughs faster. It’s our goal to provide a world-standard in protein research tools, technical support and delivery. When you join Abcam, you’ll join a global business with the passion and the vision to become the most influential company, and, best-loved brand in life sciences.Our culture is our key differentiator. We believe in empowering individuals, with responsibility given at an early stage. The working environment is fun and fast-paced, collaborative and outcome focused, with a strong customer focus. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer an attractive and flexible benefits package (which includes shares for eligible employees), a culture focussed on wellbeing and opportunities for growth and development.