Local Unit & Position Description
We are looking for a Verification Engineer (ideally entry level / graduates, but CVs of experienced applicants also considered depending on the relevant experience in the industry) with a strong academic record, preferably a master’s degree or higher, with an emphasis on electrical, structural or mechanical engineering.
You will work within a large, supportive team of engineers with various experience levels within the UK Verification Department. As a Verification Engineer you will develop a strong initial grounding in engineering analysis and independently verifying work that has been carried out by engineering design houses, engineering procurement pontractors, Oil & Gas Operators etc. and gradually develop expertise in a wide range of areas such as piping, wellheads, pressure vessels, offshore containers, offshore service modules, functional safety etc.
It is critically important for the role to be able to interpret data from various sources and develop the most appropriate analysis approach required for the task in hand. A strong ability to break down a problem into the component parts and undertaking appropriate self-checking of the results obtained is very significant.
The Verification Engineer will be client facing and will progress to actively managing their own projects. You are expected to prepare accurate technical reports and will support senior engineers with tenders and proposals.
Attendance at meetings and preparation and delivery of presentations will be required.
An enthusiastic and cooperative approach to working with other members of the team is vital. Over time the Verification Engineer will develop a strong understanding of the interplay between their area of specialism and the various engineering disciplines that contribute to an overall project.
Whilst the position is a predominantly office-based (Aberdeen or London) role some occasional travel (including offshore attendance) may be required.
- Review and interpretation of data.
- Successful delivery of verification work accordance with international codes and standards.
- Completion and delivery of high-quality technical reports.
- Support preparation of technical proposals.
- Ongoing technical development.
- Regular client interaction.
- Management of own projects in line with the DNV GL Management System
- Financial (budgetary control etc.):
- To be responsible for:
- Selling target chargeable man hours on client project work (to achieve department goal)
- Delivering scopes of work in accordance with agreed budget and timeframe
- Non-financial (staff management etc):
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic team worker
- Adaptable and reactive approach with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to maintain high performance without compromising on quality, when under pressure
- Support tender and proposal preparation
- Proactive identifier of issues or obstacles and innovative in proposing and implementing solutions
- Show initiative in contributing to business and technical development within our team.
- Competent communicator to both specialist and non-specialist stakeholders.
- Safety focussed attitude with an awareness of the implications and consequences of our analysis and work to the safety of offshore operations and personnel.
- Qualified to degree or higher degree level mechanical, electrical, civil or similar
- Motivated to work towards chartership.
- Track record of successful delivery of work experience an advantage.
- Excellent IT skills, adept in use of Microsoft Office applications.
- An ability in computer programming would be an advantage.
- Market, client and company knowledge. Shows interest in and develops market understanding, client contacts and knowledge of the capabilities of the wider DNV GL business.
- Client orientation. Able to support Project Leaders in client meetings, whilst showing an aptitude to develop client relationships.
- Commercial awareness. Demonstrates an awareness of the impact of commercial aspects on project profitability and delivery.
- Communication skills. Clarity in verbal and written communication. Ability to listen closely and checks own understanding.
- Conceptual thinking and problem solving. Thinks beyond obvious surface information with ability to identify project and technical needs.
- Collaborative/cooperative. Team player. Offers and accepts support from other team members.
- Technical knowledge and expertise. Strong academic credentials, with relevant work experience an advantage.
- Personal organisation and administration skills. Able to manage information in a structured and planned manner. Uses IT systems.
- Professional integrity. Takes responsibility for own actions. Appreciates the value of other’s contributions and is open and honest. Has conviction and does ‘the right thing’.
- Coping with pressure. Aware of own limitations, remains calm when under pressure, informs others of problems.
- Managing others, including coaching. Interacts well with people – team player.
- Decision making. Clear rational thought processes for the benefit of project and company.
- Conscientious. Self-disciplined, controlled, thorough, meticulous in quality of work to ensure it meets relevant standards but not fastidious.
- Personal initiative. Identifies opportunities and issues requiring action and responds accordingly demonstrating enthusiasm. Does not wait to be instructed to act. Raises team members’ awareness of issues.
Company & Business Area Description
DNV GL is a global quality assurance and risk management company. Driven by our purpose of safeguarding life, property and the environment, we enable our customers to advance the safety and sustainability of their business. We provide classification, technical assurance, software and independent expert advisory services to the maritime, oil & gas, power and renewables industries. We also provide certification, supply chain and data management services to customers across a wide range of industries.
Combining technical, digital and operational expertise, risk methodology and in-depth industry knowledge, we empower our customers’ decisions and actions with trust and confidence. We continuously invest in research and collaborative innovation to provide customers and society with operational and technological foresight. With origins stretching back to 1864 and operations in more than 100 countries, our experts are dedicated to helping customers make the world safer, smarter and greener.
DNV GL is the technical advisor to the oil and gas industry. We bring a broader view to complex business and technology risks in global and local markets. Providing a neutral ground for industry cooperation, we create and share knowledge with our customers, setting standards for technology development and implementation. From project initiation to decommissioning, our independent experts enable companies to make the right choices for a safer, smarter and greener future.