2019 Construction Development Programme
If you want to add power to your career, look no further…
National Grid’s job is to connect people to the energy they use. Society relies on having energy at its fingertips, and we own and manage the grids to which so many different energy sources are connected. Holding a vital position at the centre of the system, we join everything up.
There has never been a more exciting time to join the power industry. We will be investing £1 billion over the next 3 years, delivering major projects that will secure the energy supply for future generations. The Construction team is central to these projects as we refurbish and replace existing infrastructure to focus on sustainable construction for the future and alternative technologies.
Construction Development Programme
The Construction Development Programme offers the opportunity to join our Electricity Construction Delivery team within Capital Delivery as a Trainee Project Supervisor (formerly trainee Construction Interface Engineer). The programme will provide the development for you to become a Project Supervisor over an 18 month period to deliver the onsite elements of all Construction projects for National Grid and supporting the associated Lead Project Supervisor.
Combining on the job practical site experience at various project sites as well as classroom training, this programme is designed to make sure our future Project Supervisors are perfectly equipped to deliver on all our construction commitments.
During the programme you’ll have the opportunity to develop technical knowledge along with project, contract and stakeholder management skills in conjunction with gaining on site expertise and specialist experience of the energy sector. Once you complete the 18 month programme you’ll be qualified to work in a Project Supervisor role and you’ll be part of the team delivering projects across our capital plan. These will range in size and complexity, but each will pose its own unique challenges.
If you are looking for an opportunity to broaden your skills in a challenging but rewarding role with the potential to build and progress a career in the Construction environment, then this is the programme for you.
Join our Construction Development Programme as a Trainee Project Supervisor and you can look forward to competitive, regularly reviewed rewards that include:
- A starting salary of £26,500 for those entering with an HNC/HND, ONC or BTEC level 3 in a Construction or Engineering discipline and relevant work experience.
- A starting salary of £30,000 for those with a degree in Engineering, Construction, Project Management or Quantity Surveying and relevant work experience.
- Current salary at end of programme - £34,785
- Company Car
- A pension scheme
- 25 days’ annual leave
- If you’re interested in applying, you should hold one of the qualifications listed above in addition to relevant work experience in a Construction, Engineering, military or operational role – this could include experience in a ‘sandwich’ degree course.
- You must hold a full driving licence and be flexible to travel as this role will incur overnight stays.
- We have opportunities in London, South East, South West, Central and North areas (excluding Scotland) in addition to opportunities in Hewish, Bristol on the Hinkley Project.
- Stage 1 – Application
- Stage 2 – Telephone Interviews will be held during late November 2018
- Stage 3 - Assessment centres will be held during mid-January 2019.
The start date for this programme will be 8th April 2019. If successful, you must be able to commit to starting on this date.
We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds. National Grid’s ambition is to drive, develop and operate our business in a way that results in a more inclusive culture. We are committed to building a workforce which represents the communities we serve and a working environment in which each individual feels respected, fairly treated, valued and able to reach their full potential.