|Broad Content of Role|
This role is for an experienced network engineer with a focus on Arista, Juniper, Cisco, plus build automation and configuration management using tools such as Ansible.
It is anticipated that candidates might currently specialise in either Arista/Cisco or Juniper streams, so fast learning would be required to quickly eradicate any areas of weaknesses.
Redhat Enterprise experience is also an advantage.
Fidessa is automating more and more of its network operations and has an exciting opportunity within the EMEA Data Centre Network department. The role offers the chance to work within a fast-paced, concentrated team dedicated to supporting and implementing the hardware and network services which underpin the Fidessa systems.
The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and prioritise work, and with a constant desire to automate and improve current working practices, will be key to success in this role. The role would be ideally suited to an experienced candidate who is looking for rapid career progression with cutting-edge technology within a Data Centre Network team.
As an experienced Network Support Engineer you will be involved with the day-to-day operations within our Data Centre Network infrastructure, responsible for the support and configuration of Fidessa customer solutions and Fidessa infrastructure, and play a key role in the automation of this field - primarily using Ansible.
Occasional travel to Fidessa Data Centres will be required.
- Implementing and supporting new customer and exchange connectivity solutions
- Configuring Cisco, Juniper, and Arista devices
- Configuring Checkpoint, Juniper SRX, and Cisco ASA firewalls
- Supporting all of the above vendor appliances
- Assisting in the devising of new automated configuration of the above vendor appliances, primarily using Ansible
- Configuring and supporting management and monitoring tools such as Nagios and PRTG
- Troubleshooting networking issues with Cisco/Juniper/Arista routers/switches
- Troubleshooting connectivity to clients and exchanges
- Responding to Data Centre Network monitoring systems and issues raised by clients or internal departments
- Liaising with and managing internal and external clients, as well as carriers
- Racking and cabling of hardware in production data centres
- Maintaining client solution documentation and diagrams
- Taking ownership of (or assisting with, where required) Data Centre Network problem tickets through to completion
- Providing escalation support and technical leadership for less experienced members of the operations team
- Supporting Redhat Enterprise based systems/platforms is an advantage
|Experience & Skills|
- Knowledge of Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Checkpoint, A10, Fortinet, PRTG, Nagios, Solarwinds
- Experience of build automation and configuration management, preferably using Ansible
- An excellent and demonstrable understanding of dynamic routing protocols including BGP, OSPF
- An excellent understanding of network protocols, such as VRRP, HSRP, & VARP
- An excellent understanding of network troubleshooting techniques, including packet captures through wireshark, and trace analysis
- Strong analytical skills
- An ability to understand and articulate complex network configurations spanning multiple physical sites.
- Comfortable in leading client engagements from a technical perspective
- Experience in a Data Centre team with hands on experience in a Data Centre facility - Data centre racking and cabling
- Able to use initiative and prioritise a sometimes rapidly changing workload
- Desire for continual learning and improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a "can do" attitude
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Highly organised, flexible and enjoys pace
- Calmness under pressure and ability to maintain good humour, particularly in the face of adversity
- Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships both internally and externally
- Takes ownership of delegated tasks and sees things through to completion
- RHEL experience an advantage
- This is a vital role within the Data Centre Network Team with opportunity to expand the role in the future. The role is based in Woking, Surrey, with occasional travel to London. An element of the role will involve occasional out of hours and weekend work when performing maintenance on certain infrastructure. The role is ideally suited to a degree-educated, experienced Network Operations Engineer with good experience and a desire to effect change.
- The successful candidate will be comfortable in front of clients when discussing complex networking solutions including Juniper Clusters, BGP, VRF etc. This role requires experience and provides technical leadership in networking to other members of the operations team. Juniper and Cisco/Arista experience, plus the ability to quickly eradicate any areas of weakness in either stream, is essential.
- The role holder will be expected to perform any other duties that may reasonably be asked of them.
- This is an excellent opportunity to join one of the UK’s leading software specialists in the exciting global finance sector.