Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world. The BBC has become a household name which delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen! Our Design + Engineering department keep the BBC at the cutting edge of the converging broadcast and online industries by driving the technological developments that shape our future.
We’re looking for a talented Tester to join the iPlayer and Sounds engineering department working with the BBC iPlayer and Sounds (mobile apps) and Radio and Music Services teams in Glasgow. We need people who are passionate about quality and testing, with a desire to play a key role in product design and development in order to provide vital insight into the state of a product throughout its development and deployment.
Growing BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds is one of the BBC’s core priorities. Scaling the 200+ strong team that develop our flagship digital products across TV, mobile, web and other connected platforms is critical to delivering that growth and reinventing the BBC for a new generation. With established bases in London and Salford, we are in the process of establishing a base in Glasgow and developing our approach to cross-site and remote working.
BBC iPlayer & Sounds Mobile
BBC iPlayer and Sounds (Mobile Apps) are an integral part of our strategy for delivering
digital TV and audio user experiences that serve distinctive, world class content and services.
BBC Radio and Music Services (RMS)
The Radio and Music Services (RMS) team builds and maintains the APIs that power our audience facing websites and products in the Radio and Music domain, including BBC Sounds and Voice assistants. Working in multi-disciplinary teams developing services on AWS using Scala and Java, all our teams follow software engineering best practices and use agile methods to ship incrementally and often.
How we work?
We work in a respectful and highly collaborative Agile environment with multi-discipline crews of Software Engineers, Testers, Product Owners, UX Engineers and Delivery people supporting continuous integration and deployment. We do this by ensuring our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast, and monitoring our systems and products in production to understand the impact of change every time we release value to our audiences.
We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time’ - dedicated for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We seek improvement by reflecting and updating how we work in team retrospectives and by individual mentoring. We promote a supportive and friendly working environment, with a healthy work-life balance and opportunities for flexible working hours.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
- Work with product teams and stakeholders to ensure each feature is clearly understood before implementation, validated early and throughout implementation, and verified when implementation is complete
- Planning, estimating, writing and executing functional tests, and reporting test activities
- Carrying out exploratory testing to assess product performance
- Communicate status information and issues to a variety of technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Identify bugs and investigate their root cause, create detailed and accurate bug tickets, verify reported issues, seeing them through to resolution liaising with other teams where appropriate
- Raising descriptive, concise defect reports
- Leading defect triage meetings with other disciplines
- Support, implement and help shape the test approach, as well as contribute to test processes and procedural improvements
- Work with other test roles and development teams to ensure the spread of good practices and knowledge sharing
- Support change through experimenting and analysis to improve processes
- Provide support in tool evaluations and selections
- Mentor junior team members
- Learn from and contribute to the test community
Are you the right candidate? - You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Proven testing skills developed through experience
- Ability to plan, design and execute effective functional, systems and regression tests
- Experience of applying analytical and detail-orientated approaches to problem solving and solution design, with an ability to innovate and think creatively
- Excellent aptitude for learning new technologies and ways of working
- Ability to input and support in the creation, adaption and execution of effective test strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of working with cross-functional teams
- Ability to experiment, analyse and continually support in improving test practices
- Good working knowledge of product/defect/test case management systems
- Experience / good understanding of building and testing TV / Web / Mobile apps
- Understanding of continuous integration / deployment tools
- Experience of test and issue management tools e.g. TestRail, Jira, Quality Centre, TestLink
- Experience with Agile / Scrum / Kanban project management
- An appreciation of accessibility, usability and good user experience
- Good understanding of test automation and its value and application within Agile software development methodology
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience