An excellent opportunity has become available to join Elliott Group as a Shop Technician. The successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out a wide range of repair solutions that will include remanufacture and servicing of rotating and stationary components including blades, impellers, diaphragms, shafts, seals and bearings.
Working out of our repair center in Silchester UK you will use a broad range of mechanical engineering techniques to carry out repair and servicing tasks including nozzle repair and blade replacement, machining, weld repair of rotors and discs, vacuum heat treating, parts fabrication, machine overhauls and protective coatings.
The role requires a broad experience in mechanical engineering you will use a variety of different skill sets including welding, machining and assembling. You do not need to be an expert in all these techniques however if you do have experience in at least one or more of these areas would be ideal.
As a Technician your main responsibilities will involve:
- Dismantles, inspects, repairs and re-assembles compressors, turbines, turbochargers, gearboxes, and other rotating machinery and components therefrom.
- Follows Elliott HSE policy and rules to maintain the high level of Health and Safety for everyone within the Elliott premises. Diligently reports all incidents and near misses.
- Correctly read and interpret engineering drawings.
- Ensures output is in full conformance to requirements of work instructions, procedures, quality standards and specifications. Completes all records as required by the work instructions and procedures.
- Steam clean and/or shot-blast equipment in preparation for commencement of work.
- Undertakes general workshop activities and follows Workshop Supervisor instructions with respect to housekeeping, workshop/work area cleaning and disposal of rubbish.
- Returns all tooling and lifting equipment to its correct storage place after use. Reports any defects, miss use or issue that would prevent safe use by others.
- Performs necessary quality checks including concentricity, alignment, mechanical and electrical run-out, final and incremental dynamic balancing.
- Inspects and assembles sub-contract machined components to final specification.
- Ensures proper functioning of all machine tools and assets, carries out necessary maintenance and operates same.
- Undertakes suitable training for the safe operation of mobile equipment, including over-head cranes, fork lift trucks and the correct supervision of delivery vehicles to the site.
- Support Field service personnel both at site and in the workshop, as required.
- Performs other tasks as required within the reasonable limitation of the individual.
In addition to the above tasks, certain specialist technicians will be required to undertake the following specialist tasks.
- Weld with GTAW; SMAW and SAW processes all steels, nickel alloy, aluminum alloys.
- Undertake and pass the desired weld competency test, at desired intervals, as dictated in the Elliott procedure
- Ability shall be proved with qualification according to major design codes (ASME IX; EN; AWS D1.1).
- Cut, adapt, chamfer, align, centre, clean and tack weld part to be welded.
- Grind out welding defect.
- Independently operate, to required standards, machine shop equipment including, but not limited to: lathes, vertical borers, grinders etc both conventional and CNC.
- Able to set up machine, with correct tooling, to undertake machining activity to desired quality.
- Sharpen and maintain machine tooling
- Clean up any waste material and dispose of material in appropriate way
- To be able to assemble/disassemble turbomachinery rotors and complete machine in line with manufacturers instructions.
- Carry out impeller overs-peed test.
- Fit blades on turbine rotors.
- Perform low speed balance of rotors using all suitable machines available in Elliot shop.
- Reports all non-conformities, damage, quality issues etc to direct supervisor.
- Use industry standard NDE test equipment including MPI, Dye-Pen and Fluorescent penetrant.
- Compile reports to adequately show identified defects
- Use hand tools to rectify small local defects.
- Steam clean and/or shot-blast equipment in preparation for ND NDE testing and clean the part after the test to remove any residual (magnetic particle, dye , etc.).
As a Technician you will ideally have an NVQ or Equivalent Experience in Mechanical Engineering