Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Annual salary negotiable depending on experience, plus competitive benefits package
FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 80,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’ve got a world-class NPS score and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses by putting them in control of their finances.
We’re now looking for a technical team lead for our Website team to help create the next evolution of our website. You will lead a dedicated team of engineers, ensuring they're well directed, motivated, productive and engaged in their work. This is a technical team leadership and people-management role.
What you'll be doing:
Our website serves as a valuable asset for the business, so this is a great role for someone who can skilfully liaise with stakeholders and collaborate with other departments as well as contribute technically. The FreeAgent website is currently statically generated. This has brought many benefits with respect to simplicity, security and speed, but it's also starting to impose limitations on what we can achieve.
You’ll work with a collaborative group of engineers, designers and product managers, and play a key role in creating the next evolution of our website so that it provides a great experience for all visitors, including both our existing and potential customers, affiliates and partners. It's an exciting time to get involved and as a team lead you'll be able to bring valuable experience and input into this process.
Your typical week will involve:
- Coordinating work, and facilitating technical team discussions to help make decisions
- Working with your team and the wider business on prioritisation, unblocking bottlenecks, roadmap planning for future development cycles
- 1-1s with all your direct reports. We believe regular contact with your team members is essential, as is giving and receiving feedback
- Coaching, mentoring and developing engineers to help them craft the perfect career path at FreeAgent
- Hiring responsibilities. Conducting interviews, reviewing applications and helping to optimise our hiring journey
- Celebrating your team’s achievements!
Ideally, you’ll have:
- At least five years of development experience, ideally with a strong track record in building and maintaining commercial websites
- Previous experience of people management
- A comprehensive understanding of lean and agile development methodologies
- Stellar communication and organisation skills
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment while embracing accountability
- A learning mindset, always open to improve yourself and learn from others
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links).
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
Perks of the job
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!