FreeAgent is one of the leading online accounting platforms, loved by over 80,000 freelancers, small business owners and their accountants. We’ve got a world-class NPS and this role is an opportunity to make a real difference to people and their businesses by putting them in control of their finances.
It’s an exciting time for our Support Engineering team. Our customer base is growing fast and is more diverse than ever with Making Tax Digital on the horizon. The team work closely with our first-line customer support team, the wider engineering team, third-party service providers and directly with our customers, to bring every situation under control in a polite and helpful manner.
You’ll lead a group of highly collaborative support engineers and gain a broad experience of the FreeAgent application, discovering exactly what’s happening behind the scenes when things haven’t gone as planned. You’ll lead the team to balance solving customer issues day-to-day with building and maintaining the tools our customer support team use to serve our customers as efficiently as possible.
As well as strong technical and diagnostic skills, you’ll bring to the role a passion and enthusiasm for delivering exceptional customer service for our users and internal stakeholders alike.
Your typical week will involve:
- Coordinating work and facilitating team technical and customer support discussions to help make decisions
- Working with your team and the wider business on prioritisation, unblocking bottlenecks, roadmap planning for future development cycles
- Helping your team to keep the quality of their support responses high and assisting in resolving complex enquiries
- 1-1s with all your direct reports. We believe regular contact with your team members is essential, as is giving and receiving feedback
- Coaching, mentoring and developing engineers to help them craft the perfect career path at FreeAgent
- Hiring responsibilities, conducting interviews, reviewing applications and helping to optimise our hiring journey
- Celebrating your team’s achievements!
Ideally, you’ll have:
- Experience developing web applications, ideally in a commercial environment (we predominantly use Ruby on Rails)
- Previous experience of people management
- Enthusiasm for working directly with customers
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment while embracing accountability
- A learning mindset, always open to improve yourself and learn from others
- Excellent English and grammar skills
This is a full time permanent position, working from our lovely offices at Edinburgh Quay (convenient for Haymarket train station and airport links).
We encourage continual self-development and hold bi-annual company hack days. We work smarter, not harder, and try to have fun doing it! We want people to feel nurtured and at ease to be themselves, so they feel empowered and engaged to do their best work. We value our diverse team, and the variety of experiences and backgrounds only make us stronger.
Perks of the job
We provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these here.
Applying for the role
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity. Our selection process usually involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet and get to know the team. Don’t worry, we’re a nice bunch and we work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible. We welcome applications from applicants with varied backgrounds and perspectives.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference.
We look forward to hearing from you!