For over 50 years James Wilkes Limited, have been meeting the construction requirements of clients in the West Midlands. Using the knowledge, expertise and skills of our staff and associates we can offer a quality service to guide clients’ projects from conception and planning through to completion.
JWL offer services to domestic, commercial and local authority clients. Our company is well established and highly regarded with a proven track record for understanding and interpreting clients’ needs and interests. We are currently recruiting for the following role:
We would now like to appoint a technical assistant to work within our office to develop and support the contract management team.
- This role would ideally suit an individual who is looking to further their career and experience within the construction industry following a project management role, i.e. experienced materials buyer who would be keen to develop further skills or a trainee estimator/quantity surveyor to take up the project management function, or a site based tradesperson looking to move over to a more technical role.
- You will need experience within the construction industry and should be capable of taking off and evaluating bills of quantities, drawings and specifications.
- You need to be a robust negotiator with excellent organisational and planning skills who is able to co-ordinate with clients, sites and suppliers to ensure timely project delivery, ensuring the retention of high standards and effective programming.
- This role would suit someone who doesn't fit one particular mould and enjoys having to use all their skills depending on what the project requires. You could be purchasing one day, estimating/surveying another day or assisting with a technical issue on another day. Ultimately this is a smaller business where everyone pulls together to ensure projects are successfully completed and the end product is of the highest standard.
- Knowledge of construction activities, planning and building regulations, programming techniques and an understanding of the CDM regulations.
- A broad knowledge of construction materials and methods of work is essential.
- You should be able to interpret and understand building drawings, specifications and work schedules.
- Has achieved or working towards a recognised building qualification such as HNC BTec in construction or technical time served equivalent which can be evidenced.
- Hold a full clean driving licence.
- You should be able to work independently and effectively to adhere to tight deadlines and be flexible in working additional hours when necessary.
- A good communicator, who is able to confidently liaise with clients, suppliers and sub-contractors.
- You are the kind of person who takes ownership of tasks, including problem solving to ensure that they are completed satisfactorily.
- You will need to be a team player and work closely with other operational team members but have the ability to hold your own ground and offer reasoned advice in a fast-paced environment.
- Be computer literate with basic IT functions and software packages i.e. Word, Excel, etc.
- Negotiable salary dependent upon experience
- An optional company pension
- 29 day paid holiday entitlement
- We are willing to support candidates that are looking to further their construction qualifications to degree standard or to professional membership, i.e. CIOB, RICS, etc.
There is a very real opportunity for you to join a well-established and respected local construction company and for the right individual to grow beyond this initial role as the firm moves forward, with prospects right up to management level and beyond.
The position is available for immediate start so please apply online (with CV) or email your CV together with a covering letter.
James Wilkes Ltd values diversity and promotes equality. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society.