Ibstock plc is a market leading manufacturer and partner of choice for innovative clay and concrete building products, building the face of Britain for over 200 years.
We’re no ordinary manufacturing business. Through our principal products of clay bricks, brick components, concrete roof tiles, concrete stone masonry substitutes, concrete fencing, pre-stressed concrete products and concrete rail products, we’re committed to providing new solutions to today’s social and environmental challenges for the new build housing and domestic repair, maintenance, improvement markets (RMI) and infrastructure.
Many of our long-standing customer relationships have lasted over 40 years. Our customer focus is based on quality, service and consistency and our service-led ethos is one of the key drivers in the growth of our market share over the past 10 years.
We are currently recruiting for a Technical Manager to join our team. This role will have national coverage, with the lab being based at our site at Anstone.
The Technical Manager will be responsible for all aspects of concrete and material technology, specification and compliance for manufactured products. The role will work closely with the procurement team supporting the group materials strategy, ensuring continued economic supply of quality materials to our production processes. The role will also work closely with the materials R&D and product development teams to ensure smooth transition of new products in to production.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Joint responsibility for the Central Laboratory, liaising either through the concrete technicians or directly with Factory Managers on all issues affecting the laboratory together with maintaining product quality standards. Management of the concrete technicians to ensure that every concrete product within the Group has an optimised mix design, taking into account availability of aggregates, their price and other factors which affect mix design.
- Manage technical projects from concept to completion in allotted timescales.
- Ensure that any change in the mix design is approved and the central database updated accordingly.
- To keep abreast of global development in concrete technology, test methods and relevant standards, ensuring that the teams and wider operations are fully briefed.
- Assist in NPD process and produce, help complete tight schedules and product launch.
- Ensure up-to-date knowledge in areas of Concrete and Materials Technology, including cement chemistry, chemical admixtures, aggregate developments, with particular emphasis on recycled aggregate and development of contacts, by attending conferences both at home and overseas which will add value to the Group.
- To be responsible for the Concrete Technology database, to ensure it provides an up-to-date and adequate source of information.
- To develop & maintain a Group wide reporting system of Laboratory test results to ensure in conjunction with the Technical Advisory Team, that datasheets on the Company’s intranet, internet and printed information given out by the company, adequately reflects the Group’s products.
- To develop a network of contacts within the technical departments of key suppliers, ensuring any changes and advancements in materials are known fully utilized. Assist in setting robust standards for product quality.
- Help develop key individuals to maintain the business performance in all aspects of concrete technology and product testing.
Essential Qualifications & Experience:
- Diploma level qualification in Concrete Technology or Materials Science related subject combined with significant relevant, industry experience.
- Significant knowledge of Material properties and testing procedures
- Significant knowledge of construction and hard landscaping based products.
- A minimum of 5 years industry experience in a related field combined.