- Requisition ID: 222713
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Project Background and Job Overview
This position is for a Systems Engineering Manager (SEM) who will work a multi-year United Kingdom (UK) nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. This programme involves a multi-billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The Systems Engineering Manager (SEM) is responsible for the systems engineering activities performed on the UK nuclear infrastructure programme. The SEM is responsible for supervising and providing technical direction to Systems Engineers that are assigned to each package within the programme. The SEM communicates complex technical issues and recommends solutions to the Bechtel Engineering Manager (EM). The SEM reviews and approves key systems engineering documents and must have a broad knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, and design criteria pertinent to engineering. The SEM is required to have a good knowledge of Bechtel’s administrative practices and supervisory experience. This position is a senior role within the Bechtel team and reports to the Bechtel Engineering Manager. This role will also have a matrix reporting line to the Client Engineering Manager.
The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered. The work will be performed in various locations across the UK.
This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Accountable to provide and implement an Inspection Testing Evaluation and Acceptance Plan (ITEAP) for the programme that is supportive of the overall execution strategy.
- Accountable to select an appropriate systems engineering software package with which to implement delivery.
- Accountable to capture, scrutinize and deconflict requirements across stakeholders and to subsequently assure delivery of hierarchical requirements management documents includin URD & SFRs, SRD, DSR, and PBS.
- Accountable to establish a consistent application of systems engineering across the team that informs and engages all functions and which defines the baseline scope.
- Accountable for the consistent provision of management information through metrics on design stage compliance and implementation closeout as appropriate throughout delivery.
- Plans, develops, coordinates and reviews engineering work within the systems engineering discipline on the UK nuclear infrastructure programme.
- Supervises the day-to-day technical work of discipline systems engineers, scientists, specialists, designers, drafters, and technologists.
- Conducts annual performance reviews in accordance with approved procedures and holds career development discussions.
- Recommends personnel actions such as staff additions, terminations, transfers and salary changes.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of systems engineering discipline estimates and work plan in accordance with project scope, schedule and budget, and manages implementation and performance accordingly.
- Estimates staffing needs and schedules and assigns work to meet schedule dates.
- Coordinates with client representatives as delegated to obtain their approval on phases of work.
- Reviews and approves key engineering documents related to the systems engineering discipline.
- Coordinates assigned engineering work with other project groups.
- Ensures that systems engineers, scientists, and technologists supervised receive appropriate on-the-job training for their professional development.
- Promotes the creation of a work environment, supported by leadership, which fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Supports defining facility/system design requirements.
- Manages and approves the means of verifying requirements implementation, including acceptance criteria.
- Manages the research and documentation that establishes system operations and limits that are obtained from the review of design and basis documents and from discussions with system designers.
- Manages system-level design verification, requirements verification, test requirements specifications, and requirements flowdown and traceability.
- Manages the preparation of impact analyses for proposed requirement changes.
- Performs or manages periodic assessments to validate implementation and traceability of requirements into design.
- Coordinates and facilitates technical discussions to resolve system design issues.
- Must be an accomplished stakeholder manager, able to negotiate ownership, acceptance criteria and where necessary, adjudicate trade-offs in the requirements set.
- Able to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the customer.
- Must be knowledgeable on systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, materials, and computers used within the systems engineering discipline.
- Must be knowledgeable on engineering work planning and control methods.
- Must have knowledgeable on precedents in the discipline and of principles and practices of related disciplines.
- Must be knowledgeable on related construction practices and the economics involved.
- Must be knowledgeable on industry /regulatory codes and standards, and design and/or layout criteria pertinent to the systems engineering discipline.
- Possess detailed understanding of Systems Engineering principles and methods, requirements management principles, and methods.
- Skilled in oral and written communication.
- Must be knowledgeable of application and coordination of systems engineering tools, such as CRADLE by 3SL, IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations on a programme or project.
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field from an accredited university or college.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an SC security clearance.
- Will have worked as part of a management team engaged in an EPC/EPCM delivery model on a major infrastructure programme of >£500M capital value.
- Will have led systems engineering in at least one nuclear and/or defense project.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Experience facilitating multi-discipline meetings to resolve technical and related requirements compliance issues.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certification
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.