Simmons & Simmons are looking to recruit a Supervising Associate in our Banking department (Restructuring and Special Situations). The successful candidate can be based in either our London or Bristol office.
We advise a broad range of stakeholders on restructuring and special situations transactions including:
- Original lenders
- Secondary investors, including distressed debt and turnaround funds
- Boards and shareholders of corporate debtors experiencing financial difficulties
- Insolvency officeholders
- Formal and informal creditors’ committees
- Agents and trustees
- Financial advisers
We regularly advise on:
- Rescues and reconstructions outside formal insolvency proceedings, including areas such as work-outs, standstill arrangements, debt for equity swaps, schemes or arrangement, company voluntary arrangements and equivalent mechanisms to bind dissenting creditors
- Planning and implementing of ‘loan-to-own’ strategies, including credit and security reviews and due diligence on the underlying debtor and assets
- The sale and purchase of distressed companies and assets, including ‘pre-pack’ sales following the enforcement of security
- Directors’ duties and liabilities across the full range of distressed and insolvency situations
- The sale and purchase of debt, equity or insolvency claims against stressed and distressed and the sale, purchase and work-out of portfolios of non-performing loans
- Trading and non-trading administrations and receiverships and the rights, duties and obligations of insolvency officeholders
- Insolvent liquidations, including the protection of assets, the validity of creditors’ claims, the avoidance of antecedent transactions, wrongful and fraudulent trading and set off
- Solvent liquidations and schemes of arrangement as a means of efficiently restructuring corporate groups
- Rescue financing, insolvency litigation, including all forms of insolvency related applications and enforcement procedures
- The rights, duties and obligations of facility & security agents and bond trustees in distressed situations
Recent assignments have included Interserve, Debenhams, Johnston Press, Carillion, Fairhold and Carpetright
The successful candidate will have good range of both restructuring and formal corporate insolvency experience, ideally gained from working within an international or leading regional firm.
The features that mark us out from our competitors are: a reputation for attentive service, providing commercial solutions and the quality of our client relationships.
The firm provides a wide range of benefits including an emphasis on agile working.
- Excellent academics.
- Applicants will ideally be 4+ PQE, which will have been gained at another international or leading regional firm.
- Strong client focus with an ability and willingness to get actively involved in marketing and business development.
- Commercially driven.
- Able to work effectively as part of a diverse and inclusive team.
- Ambitious, pro-active and collaborative.