This Sr. Proposal Manager position is for Covance within the Clinical Pharmacology team. Clinical Pharmacology is a phase I business that conducts trials in healthy normal volunteers, small hybrid patient studies, and impairment trials.
- Owns and provides leadership for all aspects of the appropriate proposal process (text, quote, budget, and/or response to Requests for Information [RFIs]) for assigned/accountable opportunities (inclusive of managing opportunities autonomously, establishing clear timelines, meeting client requirement, and resolving obstacles)
- Lead strategic and/or highly complex opportunities/initiatives
- Responsible for managing deliverables for integrated opportunities (i.e., spanning across multiple Business Units)
- May assist Manager with team workload management
- May support Manager for triage and assign new enquiries as needed
- Reviews and analyzes RFI and/or Request for Proposal (RFP) documents to ensure adequate information for budget and proposal preparation is provided. Follows up with appropriate contact for additional information as required.
- Identifies and resolves issues around client enquiry requirements and Covance capabilities
- Organizes and leads strategic and operational calls related to the opportunity
- Works across the organization in matrix environment across multiple time-zones and locations to lead the process and complete deliverables
- Liaises with third party vendors/vendor managers for provision of quotations where required.
- Prepares high quality and accurate documents; collaborates with the review team to ensure the responses and strategy meet the Sponsor requirements and expectations under the pressure of changing timelines; based on experience, proactively proposes a potential appropriate strategy
- Lead internal and external opportunity management negotiations (i.e. pricing, process, resources, timelines, etc.)
- Is accountable for timely delivery of assigned deliverables
- Provide oversight to more junior staff.
- Responsible for resolving issues/challenges and informing Manager
- Performs timely and accurate data entry into departmental and/or corporate databases/systems as appropriate
- May support client-facing and senior management-facing activities surrounding assigned opportunities as needed, including supporting preparation, attendance, or leading applicable preparation and meetings
- Identifies and is accountable for driving ways to improve the efficiency and quality of processes and the resulting deliverables, influencing key stakeholders as applicable
- May contribute to assigned client relationship improvement activities and implementation
- Provides training and guidance to new or less experienced staff on all aspects of position requirements, including developing and subsequently updating training materials
- Performs quality control activities per the appropriate process/requirements
- Expected to contribute to content library by submitting new content or updates to existing content, using the official content submission process, and to suggest areas for streamlining/improving content and/or structure
- Completes other appropriate duties, as assigned by the manager, which require similar skills in accordance with business needs and common sense.
Education / Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree required in related field or equivalent work experience
- Applicable minimum years of experience in budget and/or text development, or an equivalent combination of education and CRO/pharma/other related experience to successfully perform the essential job duties
- Excellent customer service skills, attention to detail and ability to be persistent while maintaining tact
- Demonstrated computer skills – requires excellent MS Office experience (specifically Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Knowledge of proposal management software applications (e.g., Salesforce.com, Qvidian, Proposal Automation applications) is preferred
- Demonstrated text editing and writing skills (based on business unit and/or team expectations)
- Demonstrated ability to plan, multi-task and prioritize
- Demonstrated teamwork, communication (written and verbal), and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work independently
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with internal stakeholders, clients and Covance senior management
- Positive attitude and sense of urgency
- Ability to work across Covance Business Units
- Ability to provide limited team management activities
- Ability to work irregular and/or extended hours as needed to meet the client’s proposal deadline