Job Title: Space Stability and Control Engineer (RELOCATION CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED)
Location: Harwell Space Campus (Oxfordshire, UK)
Salary: £40,000 to £55,000 per annum (dependent on experience)
Benefits: Pension, 28 days holiday, Flexible Working, Bonus, Travel & Training Bursary, Exclusive Discounts
A new opportunity has arisen to join Archangel Lightworks as an innovative, ambitious and experienced lead Space Stability and Control Engineer to augment our rapidly growing team. We are passionate about innovation and driven to find new concepts for space laser communications.
The successful candidate will be responsible for design, simulation, purchase and implementation of high reliability pointing acquisition and tracking system for a laser communication system.
Space Stability and Control Engineer Duties & Responsibilities:
- Development of full control system architecture simulation to investigate trade-offs and inform subsystem requirements.
- Characterise motion and disturbances of payload platform. This will include planning, execution, documentation of tests.
- Aiding in definition, implementation and conduction of test and verification plans for pointing of communication subsystem as well as control of airborne platform.
- Comparison and selection of components, sensors and actuators including supplier management as required.
- Participate in technical reviews
Space Stability and Control Engineer Required Skills & Experience:
- Experience in modelling dynamic systems (linear and non-linear) and designing the most appropriate control strategy to stabilise and control those systems.
- Experience defining control system requirements within technically achievable limitations
- Experience in selection and understanding of available COTS sensors and actuators needed for a designed control system.
- Experience implementing complex control systems for aerospace or communications applications.
- Relevant practical experience using navigation and attitude sensors (e.g. Inertial sensors and GNSS), filtering algorithms (e.g. EKF) and various actuation systems.
- Space industry experience, and/or experience with high reliability PAT (pointing, acquisition and tracking) systems.
- Extensive programming experience in Matlab/Simulink, C/C++. Python desirable.
- Strong mathematical ability including pure mathematics, linear algebra, statistics and numerical methods. Educated to BSc level (or equivalent) in Control Engineering or related subject.
- Proficient English, positive attitude, self-driven and motivated to work in a start-up environment.Independent, quick learner, can structure and show initiatives to thoroughly evaluate and solve problems from different angles, proactively push progress forward
Space Stability and Control Engineer Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience implementing RTOS.
- Experience using advanced Excel and Linux.
- Experience working on Cubesat projects, UAV, HAPS projects.
- Experience managing suppliers and subcontractors.
For more information about the Space Stability and Control Engineer role or to apply send your CV now via the Apply button!
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 10x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed.