Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Airspace Mobility Solutions, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Aquila Air Traffic Management Services (Aquila) was formed in 2014 as a joint venture between National Air Traffic Services (NATS), air navigation services specialist and Thales, the primary supplier of equipment and services for UK Air Traffic Management (ATM).
Aquila was awarded the £1.5 billion Project Marshall contract by the MOD in 2014. The programme will provide military terminal Air Traffic Management (ATM) capability which ensures that all flights are safely and efficiently managed and sequenced for take-off and landing.
Aquila currently employs over 200 people, predominately in the UK but also includes locations in Gibraltar, Cyprus and the Falkland Islands. It operates from the Aquila Head Office in Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire.
The Solutions Manager – support to Business Development, is responsible for supporting the Business Development (BD) function in the qualification, development and integrity of potential solutions to meet new customers emerging requirements. The post holder will be a key member of the Aquila business growth team.
Purpose of the Role:
The role of the Business Development function is to drive the achievement of Aquila’s financial/strategic objectives through increasing opportunity prospects, new business winning and customer base to achieve specific business development targets (for orders, revenue and profit).
The Solutions Manager will form part of a core, small, new business winning team within the Business Development function. The role holder will:
- Capture, develop and analyse potential new customer requirements, in support of Business Development activities.
- Provide the initial point of contact within the Solutions Team for the development of solutions to satisfy new business customer requirements, optimising the value for money propositions whilst managing risk exposure to Aquila.
- Promote and explain Aquila solutions to Customer representatives, producing and leading technical demonstrations and presentations as required.
- Transfer complex technical documents and solutions into a compelling and engaging offering for potential customers.
- Typically, will be the technical focal point for new business acquisition through early stages such as Preliminary Qualification Questionnaires etc
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the BD Director and Safety and Solutions Director to develop and implement solution strategies for new business acquisition
- Coordinate and develop initial solutions in support of new business activities, liaising with and championing other areas of the technical and solutions teams within Aquila.
- Support the development of business cases to highlight the benefits of potential solutions to prospective customers
- Define, lead and deliver the solutions needed for associated growth plans
- Internally advise from a customer’s perspective, on solutions for significant opportunities.
- Develop and maintain an excellent understanding of the target Air Traffic Management customers, e.g. FLCs, delivery agents and user communities, to ensure that needs are being met and proposals meet the audience needs.
- Maintain an awareness of external factors including competitors, government business initiatives, current and proposed legislation in relation to commercial and business activities which may impact the business.
- Coach and mentor team members around the business as is necessary to develop the new business winning capability.
- Operate to the highest ethical values to ensure that Aquila generates and wins good new business
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree in Engineering discipline, equivalent relevant professional qualification, or relevant experience.
- Domain knowledge or experience gained from within an Air Traffic Management Engineering environment.
- Relevant System Engineering experience (preferable within the Air Traffic Management Environment or equivalent regulatory/safety environment).
- Relevant experience of high-integrity real-time systems within large scale, multi-disciplined projects.
- Strong customer focus and dedication to teamwork and exceptional standards of delivery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to explain complex matters to other technical and non-technical audiences in a compelling manner.
- The ability to work proactively, within a loosely defined framework, with a minimum of direct supervision.
- Highly motivated in the discharge of responsibilities and accountabilities, able to bring other functions along in the absence of defined requirements – high energy
- Demonstrably excellent senior management skills and behaviours especially in the areas of leadership.
- The ability to communicate in a clear and engaging manner promoting the flow of information needed to be successful, building commitment and enthusiasm
- Proven experience working at a senior level with internal team members and customers, and able to demonstrate flexibility, objectivity, and pragmatism.
Key relationships will be with the Safety and Solutions team, Business Development team, customers and key supplier / shareholder teams.
Must be able to satisfy necessary security clearance requirements to fulfil this role.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 80,000 employees in 68 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!