We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging role, with the possibility to work on the leading edge of mobile GPU technology? Are you looking to use your technical and leadership skills to help drive your career? You will join an Agile Software development team working on the device drivers for the next generation Mali™ mobile GPUs. You will work with the most recent Linux kernels and yet-to-be-published Android versions and will help shape the technologies that the mobile market will see in years to come.
You will be based in Cambridge (UK) and work on the lower layer of the Mali graphics driver stack. We focus on performance-critical user and kernel space components that interface with the GPU hardware and firmware, including scheduling and memory management for Linux and Android OS.
If you would like to utilise your technical and leadership capabilities to drive existing and future parts of our Mali GPU to execute content as efficiently as possible, this is the opportunity for you.
What you can expect to be involved with:
Closely supporting the multi-disciplined engineering teams across Arm’s European design centres to develop device drivers for the current and the future generation of Arm Mali GPUs.
You will provide the foundations that will make the Mali implementation of Vulkan, OpenGL and OpenCL simply the best in the market.
Recent achievements of the GPU team include:
- Update GPU MMU code to support large GPU pages
- Just-in-time memory allocation for Vulkan GPU jobs
- Support mechanism that allows the GPU to grow the tiler heap autonomously
- Increase utilisation of the GPU by optimising the scheduling algorithm
- Extend the intelligent power allocator (IPA) model to use hardware counters
- Simplify power management of the GPU shader cores
- Support changes to ION in 4.14 kernel in use by Android P
- Offloading GPU job scheduler to dedicated microcontroller
Day to day activities include:
- Providing technical leadership and line management for a small team
- Writing code for both the user and kernel space parts of the driver
- Agile backlog management
- Supporting and mentoring other members of the team
- Participating in all phases of software development - including design, implementation, testing, code review and documentation.
- Consider the latest developments in relevant areas of Android and Linux
- Working closely with other software teams to interface driver components
- Maintaining the existing codebase: fixing bugs, improving performance and other quality assurance activities
- Development on local platforms (FPGA, silicon, GPU model) and remotely on a test farm, on both stable and under development OS configurations
This is an amazing opportunity to influence products and technology that millions of people will use around the globe years ahead of the product release.
Education & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree (computer science or electronics engineering)
Skills & Experience required:
- Providing technical leadership and line management for a small team of engineers
- In depth exposure to device driver and Linux Kernel development
- Expected to provide design and debugging inputs to other team members
- Good understanding of computer architecture and embedded systems
- Demonstrable expertise in C programming
- Proficiency in problem solving and debugging skills
- Experience using version control and bug tracking
- Excellent team working skills, self-motivated and results focused
- Practical, organized and analytical approach to work
- Scrum master experience
- Development experience on recent Android platforms
- Good knowledge of scripting languages
- Experience with Linux kernel patches and following latest developments
- Interest in graphics and compute APIs - Vulkan, OpenGL ES, OpenCL
- Software development for a commercial organization
In the GPU Team you will be working alongside the best engineers in the world, making market leading products for the world’s most successful companies.
With applications in mobile, machine learning, Internet of Things, automotive, security, and embedded devices, your ideas will make a difference and you will have the opportunity to lead, challenge the status quo and ultimately change the world of media processing.
Our product portfolio includes Graphics, Image, Display and Video IP and our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the world’s #1 shipping Graphics Processor.
We are a global team, working across numerous sites and cultures and we are entering a new growth phase to provide new technologies and products for new and existing markets and are looking for talented people to join the team.
Please take a look at the following video to see what it's like to work in Arm: https://youtu.be/F4tNBNBgYEY
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our creative culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road
See on Google maps