Cubic Transportation Systems
Company Details:Cubic offers an opportunity to provide innovative technology for government and commercial customers around the globe, helping to solve their future problems today. We’re the leading integrator of payment and information technology and services for intelligent travel solutions worldwide, and the leading provider of realistic combat training systems, secure communications and networking and highly specialized support services for military and security forces of the U.S. and allied nations. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive in an innovative environment, we want to talk to you about your next role at Cubic! We are seeking employees inspired by technology, and motivated by the rewards of hard work, commitment, teamwork, quality, integrity, and respect. We invite you to explore opportunities with Cubic.
As part of the Cubic Transportation Systems Software Engineering team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining software for a wide range of customers. You will form a critical part of the Software Engineering team to input into proposals for customers and stakeholders and engineer the software to meet the requirements which are likely to impact on the transit of millions of travelers across the customers transport network.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Adheres to company standards and best practice for software design, implementation and test.
- Working with other Software Engineers and Solution Architects to interpret designs to produce appropriate working applications.
- Produce and maintain internal technical documentation as required, such as software designs, test specifications, technical notes.
- Provides technical skills in software development and while improving their own capability and adoption of best practice.
- Take part in solution integration and acceptance testing as appropriate.
- Develop your own skills to keep them relevant and current to the domain of work.
- •Comply with project task management processes for monitoring progress, providing meaningful estimates for remaining effort and notifying Team Leaders or Project Management when issues arise.
- Works under direction of a Team Leader within a clear framework of accountability and demonstrates personal responsibility within that framework
- Shares experience to promote continual improvement of the capability within the development team
- Engages actively in team collaboration and co-ordination activities, such as planning and review meetings
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of the role.
Skills, knowledge and experience:
- A positive, proactive and enthusiastic approach.
- A proven ability to develop solutions from requirements to existing software packages or brand new products in a commercial environment.
- Willingness to prepare for new challenges by learning and applying new languages, frameworks and technologies
- Ability to work effectively as a team member within a development team, contributing to development output, sharing responsibility, solving problems and producing high quality product.
- Ability to understand and follow the necessary company processes and procedures for software development.
- A good level of attention to detail and a thorough approach to all aspects of their work.
- Ability to assess the work involved in a given development activity, in order to provide reasonable estimates of the remaining effort.
- Experience programming with C++ or C
- Knowledge and experience with either:
- Embedded device programming using a language such as C on a real time embedded Operating System
- C# using the .Net framework
- Pascal on OpenVMS
- Java using Eclipse or IntelliJ
- Experience of the wider solution development life-cycle, including an appreciation of the importance of each phase, including maintenance/service.
- Experience producing technical documentation to support application detailed design, tests and technical notes.
- Domain knowledge of traffic management and control room systems or similar real-time control room applications.
- Experience developing simulated environments or test harnesses.
- An understanding of Cubic’s customer base, culture and stakeholders e.g. Transport for London, Transport Scotland, Highways England etc.
- Experience as part of both software development and maintenance teams
Education and qualifications:
- Degree or equivalent experience, in Computer Science or related subject
- Certification in a relevant programming language or framework
- Certified Scrum Master
- Excellent familiarity with computer software and technology in general.
- Analytical problem solver who is able to quickly & accurately identify key issues
- A natural curiosity and a passion for learning new skills. A continuous improvement mindset
- Ability to operate independently to gather information from a variety of sources and be open to sharing knowledge gained.
- Approachable, adaptable and able to work on their own or as part of a team