Reporting to: Engineering Supervisor
Key interfaces: Engineering colleagues & Engineering Supervisor / Production operatives and team leaders/ SL Manager / Health & Safety Manager / Technical and quality teams/Site and company senior management.
Role Description: To maintain continuous production and improve efficiencies safely through effectively implementing preventative maintenance schedules and responding in a timely manner to breakdown repairs. Ensure continuous improvement methodologies are applied that improves the operational function.
- To ensure supervision and safe operating procedures for visiting contractors
- To maintain Health & Safety rules and regulations
- To identify potential hazards/risks to the Health & Safety Manager/responsible person upon discovery
- To ensure all PPM schedules are completed and developed using predictive and diagnostic maintenance techniques
- To initiate improvement plans in a pragmatic and proactive manner
- To assist the engineering department in achieving its budget targets through the efficient use of materials and replacement parts
- To follow the correct accounting/authorisation process when ordering replacement parts
- Maintain and improve standards of hygiene and housekeeping in all areas of the factory including the engineering office and workshop
- To undertake emergency breakdown repairs in a timely and efficient way on all SL production equipment and assist across all site engineering issues when required.
- To ensure you have received all the necessary training and development to enable you to work on all production equipment
- To assist in the installation of new equipment to the site
- Injuries and accidents
- Near miss reporting
- PPM completion
- Equipment Engineering downtime
- Mean time to repair
- Mean time to failure
- Cost control
- Utilization of CMMS system (Piranha)
- Top loss identification and RCA implementation
Key Tasks (Maintenance & Repairs):
- Line Conveyors & Control Panels
- Cutting Equipment / Hock cutters
- Hide pullers / Shoulder pullers
- Dressing Chain lines
- Hook return Lines
- Auto Lander
- Stun Guns & Boxes
- Safety Circuits
- Power Sources and distribution equipment
- Provide technical and behavioral coaching to peers, apprentices and front-line production colleagues
- Be the technical resource for projects and technical specification’s
- Transfer best practice to further the development and performance of the engineering function.
- To be aware of and adhere to all Company policies and procedures.
- To undertake any other associated duties which may occasionally arise.
You will be expected to work on a wide variety of equipment carrying out both reactive and planned preventative maintenance ideally be from a food/FMCG environment.
You will be expected to fault find both mechanically and electrically with proven skills overlapping both areas. You will possess strong analytical skills with the ability to break down and solve complex problems in a logical and structured manner.
Time served, you will have the ability to work to your own initiative and as part of a team with minimal supervision.
With a real can do attitude you will bring your individual difference to Kepak St Merryn Meats Merthyr Tydfil, while appreciating the diversity within the team, you will pay meticulous attention to detail and be able to prioritise your work and deal with high pressure situations and ambiguous issues.
You will have a relentless pace in driving your personal development, whether that be further developing your technical expertise or wanting to progress into leadership or project management roles.
- Multi-skilled apprenticeship
- Electrical/Mechanical qualification, HNC
- FMCG experience
- PC and PLC competent
- Significant Trouble shooting and fault-finding diagnostics and resolution experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate team skills with a positive attitude and professional approach
- Domestic wiring experience
- Boiler / Steam experience
- PLC program structure and operational awareness
- Continuous improvement & lean experience
Competency & Behaviour:
- The effective use of self-confidence and persuasion are important characteristics demanded by this position.
- The ability to form friendly and trusting relationships will play an important role.
- A thorough, disciplined and detailed style is vital for those people seeking to occupy this post.
- The logical and detailed analysis of data and processes is likely to be a key component.
- Being a perfectionist and complying with clearly defined rules and regulations will enable the incumbent to operate effectively within this role.
- Modesty, caution, self-control and a non-aggressive style will be preferred traits.
- The ability to demonstrate flexibility in approach and an anxiety to complete assignments on time are important factors for success.