Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
For more information visit www.costain.com
The A30 Chiverton to Carland Cross is a Design and Build contract for 12.5km (8 miles) of new dual carriageway between Chiverton Cross & Carland Cross roundabouts on the A30. This is the final section of the A30 between Redruth & Exeter that requires dualling, the majority of the existing single carriageway A30 will be retained for local traffic.
The scheme is due to commence in April with the detailed design and surveys with the construction works starting late summer 2020 for a period of 30 months.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Reporting to the Senior Engineer you will responsible for ensuring that the works elements under your control are delivered to the correct quality and in a safe, timely and cost-effective manner. Working collaboratively with the wider project team to deliver successful project outcomes.
- Primary role is to provide engineering services for elements of the work in line with program requirements.
- Provide accurate and clear setting out for works before work is programmed to commence, allowing time for independent checking where required.
- Assist in preparing RAMS prior to work commencing.
- Monitor supply chain including reviewing their safe systems of work.
- Maintain high personal safety and environmental standards in accordance with company policies and report any standards on the site which are considered buy you as inadequate.
- Where required supervise assistant engineers and collaborate with the works supervisors.
- Reviewing drawings, schedules, specifications, method statements and pass information on to the site supervisor, supply chain and labour force.
- Ensure that the drawings and specification documents contain sufficient accurate information for construction of the works. formally request any missing information insufficient time to allow the program to proceed without delay.
- Ensure records are kept for work performed, problems experienced, labour, plant and materials used, communications to and from client, supply chain and third parties.
- Confirm in writing any verbal instructions received from the client or designer and ensure that comprehensive records of resources employed on additional works are maintained.
- Regular calibration testing of instruments and recording of tests.
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of 3 weekly programmes in conjunction with the senior engineer.
- Prepare and present records on progress and program.
- Complete inspection and test plans, including checks of dimension accuracy and quality.
- Maintain survey books as required.
- Ensure quality control and implement best practice.
- Reconciliation material usage and wastage.
- Civil Engineering related qualification (HNC, HND, BSc MSc, BEng, MEng).
- Previous experience delivering complex structures/roadworks in a similar role.
- Site Supervisory Safety Training Scheme SSSTS.
- Relevant CSCS Card.
- Other relevant training (preferred includes Appointed Person, relevant lifting training and temporary works co-ordination).
- Understanding of Engineering Principles and extensive technical knowledge of construction techniques and best practices.
- Knowledge of construction contracts and forms of contract through formal training.
- Computer competence (MS Word, Excel, Document control system, Primavera software).
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Costain closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and you do not have to provide a response.
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.