Cubic Transportation Systems
Company Details:Cubic offers an opportunity to provide innovative technology for government and commercial customers around the globe, helping to solve their future problems today. We’re the leading integrator of payment and information technology and services for intelligent travel solutions worldwide, and the leading provider of realistic combat training systems, secure communications and networking and highly specialized support services for military and security forces of the U.S. and allied nations. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit and thrive in an innovative environment, we want to talk to you about your next role at Cubic! We are seeking employees inspired by technology, and motivated by the rewards of hard work, commitment, teamwork, quality, integrity, and respect. We invite you to explore opportunities with Cubic.
To manage, maintain and support Cubic’s customers test and production systems on the Unix and Linux platform.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintaining an estate of Unix and Linux servers running mission critical customer applications.
- Systems Administration of Unix and Linux systems.
- Design, planning, configuration, support, testing and documentation of Unix and Linux systems.
- Design, planning, configuration, support, testing and documentation of backup, archive and restore using tools such as Veritas Netbackup.
- Design, planning, configuration, support, testing and documentation of SAN systems, disk layout and configurations.
- Disaster recovery and Business Continuity design, planning and testing.
- Provide input to bids and proposals and obtain quotes from suppliers to be used as input for bids. Produce detailed estimates and technical specifications for proposals and budgeting purposes.
- Perform benchmarking of applications on Unix and Linux based systems.
- Perform day to day system administration (such as user creation, disk configuration, troubleshooting, etc…).
- Storage management using tools such as ZFS or LVM.
- Providing 3rd line support, including out of hours support, to critical incidents and participation in on-call IT support rota.
- Analyze and troubleshoot production faults and determine the most effective course as a subject matter expert in an expedited manner.
- Work to ITIL best practice service support and change management processes.
- Providing support to the application support teams and DBAs.
- Implementing server hardening standards as advised by Information Security team.
- Carry out patching of servers in both test and production environments, to ensure that security vulnerabilities are fixed.
- Assemble server hardware when required.
- Maintain register of IT assets.
- Comply with Cubic's values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Minimum Job Requirements:
Skills knowledge and experience:
Essential relevant and recent experience at an appropriate level in either -
Solaris 10 or 11 Systems Administration
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 / CentOS 7 Systems Administration
Ideally relevant and recent experience at an appropriate level in –
- Solaris Zones and LDOMs
- Solaris ZFS
- Sun/Oracle SPARC based hardware
- Red Hat Satellite Server
- Red Hat Logical Volume Manager
- CentOS Spacewalk
- SAN Storage Administration
- Fibre channel networks/zoning (preferably Brocade)
- Veritas Cluster Server
- Veritas NetBackup
- Centrify/AD Integration for Unix and Linux
- Unix Bourne & Korn Shell Scripting, Perl, AWK
It is essential that the employee develops skills and experience at an appropriate level in each of the above. Training can be provided in either Solaris or Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS.
Education and qualifications
- A pass in GCSE Mathematics and English Language or equivalent qualification.
- Formal Unix administration training.
- Oracle Certified Associate or Oracle Certified Professional in Solaris.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator or a Red Hat Certified Engineer.
- A university degree, or equivalent qualification, in a numerate subject (e.g. Computer Science, maths, engineering, natural science).
- Committed to deliver a high level of customer service to clients including meeting contract terms and SLA’s.
- Must be able to be flexible in relation to working hours and location. There is a contractual requirement to be on call and work out of hours which would include weekend and working week out of hours working on site at locations in the south east.
- Ability to work non-standard hours for planned maintenance events
- Written and spoken English of high quality, with good communication and documentation skills.
- Ability to work alone and under pressure.
- A self-motivated and proactive individual able to work with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and adherence to procedures.
- Possessing a methodical and structured approach to analysing production issues.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability and willingness to learn on the job.
- Proven ability to work in a team.
- Ability and willingness to knowledge share with colleagues.
- Candidate will be required to complete a disclosure and barring service check.
- Physically able to undertake the manual handling requirements of the role.
- Hold a driving licence and have relevant insurance cover (business insurance) and own car for travelling to and from data centres and Cubic sites.
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.