Location: Exeter or Reading (please specify in your application)
Term: Permanent and Full time
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
City Science is an independent firm of software developers, data scientists and infrastructure experts. We build products to help engineers deliver the future. Founded out of the need to respond to climate change, we are committed to advancing our customers' understanding of the systems they operate, helping them reduce waste, improve efficiency and support a better world.
We have developed award-winning software solutions to serve the transport and energy markets and delivered prize-winning consultancy commissions at the forefront of digital technology. Our portfolio of projects has grown extensively over the last two years and includes direct engagements from the public and private sectors based on our key specialisms in data management, data analysis, transport technology and energy innovation. Through our flagship geospatial data and modelling software – Cadence – we partner with, and support, large engineering consultancies and transport authorities in the delivery of analytical/statistical modelling and data-driven projects across the UK.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an experienced senior statistical consultant to join our team. You will play a critical role in driving our data business and creating sustainable customer relationships. Working on innovative data projects, you’ll immerse yourself in gathering and analysing data and suggesting ground-breaking solutions to critical customer issues. You’ll be blending the use of mathematical techniques, analytics and our core library of transport analysis algorithms, with a view to developing new ideas for clients into sustainable business opportunities.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Winning business – leading on strategic pursuits and taking the role of Bid Director on tenders.
- Leading project delivery – major commissions for strategic clients acting as Project Director or Technical Advisor.
- Ownership of projects from end to end: developing customer requirements, developing and agreeing costed research plans, ensuring data acquisition, investigating raw data, delivering robust analysis, building tests and completing reports.
- Designing models with a clear path from hypothesis to prototyping to product
- Conducting advanced data analysis
- Applying advanced statistical and predictive modelling techniques to problems within transport, energy and enterprise sectors
- Researching, designing and implementing algorithms to offer new functionality to our library
- Modelling specific aspects of networks such as shortest-paths, capacity models and equilibrium effects
- Understanding and communicating cutting-edge research in transportation-related fields
- Developing processes and programs to make complex analysis repeatable and scalable
- Developing processes to ensure data quality and validity
- Understanding performance bottlenecks and improving algorithm performance