Senior Staff Engineer – Lab Manager, Kohler Mira
The job holder will manage a team of engineers and technicians responsible for coordinating all activities relating to the laboratory functions within the business. They will also coordinate with product reliability, Accredited laboratory and design validation teams to provide laboratory support and improve the functions they manage as a result.
The main functions of this role are as follows:
• To manage the NPD test facility, ensuring that this is flexible, maintained and efficient.
• To develop a strategy for laboratory development in line with the business goals.
• To develop and implement processes to ensure the laboratory facility is maintained and utilised efficiently.
• To work with other functions within NPD to impact warranty and validation activity.
• To draw up a series of validation test regimes that will provide a manual for future testing.
• To support NPDI project teams with lab related support.
• To ensure the continued improvement in product design test validation processes.
• To manage, develop and implement the product audit function within the business.
• Management of the NPD Laboratory facility including the accredited portion of the lab.
• Prioritisation of jobs through the facility.
• Introduce verified planned maintenance activity.
• Provide support to projects for general lab activity.
• Control costs through the facility, both in terms of revenue spend and capital.
• Capex generation and resource planning.
• Agreement of resource allocation and timescales with effected departments.
• Ensure that the development of the accredited facility is maintained and expanded.
• To generate and implement strategic plans for the development of product testing within the business in line with current products and the planned Roadmap (to include testing skill, equipment and Approval developments).
• To develop and implement plans for the on going strategic development of the ‘product Development’ testing in support of the current and future business needs.
• To co-ordinate the definition of product test requirements for new products (including factored product) to ensure product safety, approval and reliability requirements can be achieved in conjunction with relevant design, VQA, reliability and manufacturing engineers.
• Development and implementation of world class product test facilities.
• Agree specifications for new or for changes to test equipment
• Maintain and amend current test specifications to facilitate continuous improvement to test efficiency
• Evaluation of proposed product and process changes to assess their impact on product testing.
• Undertaking of equipment searches, product field surveys, data gathering and investigations to continually improve and expand current knowledge on product testing and auditing.
• To develop and implement plans for the development of the ‘product audit function’ within the business. Establish an active program of product audits in line with business needs.
• Providing cover for other members of the Department as required
• Involvement in continuous improvement activity or other initiatives to improve business efficiency
• Providing electrical support to the team
Relationships & Contacts
Maintenance Engineers (Reports 2), Accredited Lab staff (Reports 2)
Reports to Programme Manager
- Degree qualification or equivalent in electrical engineering background.
- Project Team experience.
- Experience in design validation.
- Working knowledge of relevant standards.
- Able to communicate effectively both with internal customers and external suppliers.
- Organised and thorough.
- Ability to work to deadlines and be reactive to changes in requirements.
- Strong commitment to team working.
- An awareness of the global commercial impact of the facility.
- Experience of working in and appreciating an environment, which is focused on quality and customer satisfaction.
- Effective communication skills for example being able to persuade others and to negotiate in committee to maximise the commercial opportunity for the company.
- Good team working and team leading skills when working with other managers and to effectively manage own team.
- Open attitude to change and have sufficient energy and vision to enable achievement of targets when working within teams, many of who will not be direct reports.
- Electrical background to be able to sign off installations and changes.
- The ability to be able to maintain and develop an accredited facility.
Why Work at Kohler Mira?
People have been turning to us for bathroom products for over 90 years, a responsibility we don’t take lightly. In all of the businesses that make up Kohler Mira we are committed to designing innovative products that bring beauty, comfort and safety to life. Because of this we understand that it takes investment in our people and their development in order to deliver on that commitment and so, we invest heavily in each individual’s personal development in a variety of ways.
In addition to the investment in personal development, Kohler Mira offers a competitive salary, numerous wellbeing benefits and a strong involvement in Corporate Social Responsibility.
In the UK, Kohler Mira Ltd. is made up of three market leading brands; Mira Showers, Rada Controls and Kohler Company. Where our brands differ in market position they are equal in quality, each living up to the Kohler Company mission to live on the leading edge of design and technology and provide a single level of quality regardless of price.
Learn more about us, our brands and career opportunities at www.kohlermira.co.uk.
It is Kohler Mira’s policy to recruit, hire, and promote qualified associates in all job classifications without prejudice. If, as an individual with a disability, you require adjustments during the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.