Cubic Transportation Systems
Company Details:At Cubic, we love to solve problems and give travellers choices in how to pay their fares quickly and safely through our revenue management and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) systems and tools. We enable transportation authorities and agencies to manage demand across the entire transportation network - all in real time. We continually strive for innovation and improvement in the overall user experience through faster fare payment and efficient information management. Our track record in revenue management, real-time passenger information and intelligent traffic management systems is built on our commitment to delivering innovative, open and customer-focused solutions. Delivering end-to-end systems and services based on innovation, scalability, specialist integration and the flexibility to grow with changing requirements and emerging technology for the complete mobility network is what Cubic does best.
We deliver to the major cities around the world and in the United Kingdom we are best known as the technology and service provider for London’s Oyster Card System.
As an employer, we are committed to investing in our people via learning and development schemes, social events and achieving a good work/life balance.
The Senior Solutions Architect (SSA) is a business focused role. Under general direction of the Principal Solutions Architect Lead for EMEA, the SSA will play a critical role in envisioning and designing solutions to meet needs of our customers prior to contract award. The SSA needs to be able to understand client and business requirements, consider the operational and technical environments into which solutions will be delivered and lead the solution team, including multiple groups in Cubic, partner and supply chain organizations to produce winning and deliverable solutions. The SSA will play a critical role in engaging with potential customers, evangelizing Cubic’s products and services and influencing the solutions that our customers request through tendering processes. The SSA will help shape the solutions we deliver to our customers and influence the strategy and vision of our products. This position typically works under limited supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority, often demonstrating leadership qualities within a bid team.
The SSA makes use of their experience of our business domain to build relationships with potential customers and understand their business drivers and needs. The SSA identifies solutions for these customers, and takes a leading role in the preparation and presentation of clear and high-quality solutions, descriptions and presentations which provide clarity of overall solutions and the role of both technology and service delivery within them.
The SSA helps maintains documentation that describes the current state of our products and systems for distribution to potential customers, and participates in the preparation and presentation of whitepapers and roadmaps that describe the future state of these products and systems.
With a strong system architecture and design background, the SSA will participate in initial systems engineering work for customer facing projects. The SSA works closely with project managers and stakeholders to ensure leading edge, compliant, cost effective and robust solutions are specified, designed and delivered. The SSA will lead the technical solution and direct development teams and suppliers to ensure requirements are accurately understood and complied with while ensuring design best practice is followed during the early stages of projects.
Support the Business:
The SSA will present new ideas to senior management (both client and Cubic), to form part of Cubic proposals for new contracts, and to provide the wider business and operational context within which technology solutions are designed and developed. The SSA will assist in the development and execution of Cubic’s strategic objectives and future business strategies and work with analysts and Cubic’s wider strategy team to help understand new markets and realize Cubic’s strategic vision. The SSA will help grow and expand Cubic’s business by exploring new markets and new solutions to enter these markets, and by challenging the ways that existing solutions have been delivered and identifying options for improvement. The SSA will identify solutions that would benefit from R&D investment and champion the development of these solutions. And on occasions, will manage and mentor other analysts and operations staff to help design and implement operational solutions.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains awareness of the company’s strategic business plans.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of the company’s technologies and architectures.
- Actively seeks knowledge of emerging technologies and architectures.
- Blazes new paths. Recommends new products and services to meet growing and changing requirements and consults with peer groups in the development of project plans and architectures.
- Communicates technical advancements through briefings and technical papers, to co-workers, management staff, customers, and technical community, as appropriate.
- Undertakes technology evaluation and provides recommendations regarding adoption.
- Maintains as-is and future state descriptions of the company’s products, technologies and architecture, for presentation and demonstration to our customers.
- Provides architectural consultancy to programs, projects and customers.
- Supports strategic and business planning.
- Cultivates relationships with customers and potential customers.
- Engages with customers and potential customers to understand their business needs.
- Works on a range of projects and tenders, to participate in the analysis and design of technology solutions and business processes for systems and operations solutions.
- Undertakes analysis of requirements or problems, discusses and develops solutions with colleagues, subcontractors and customers.
- Creates solutions that meet customers’ business needs as well as technical and functional requirements.
- Develops technical sections of contract proposals and bids.
- Helps identify new opportunities and innovations within existing contracts both for how contracts operate and with the solutions they are delivering, working with project teams and client representatives to make these a reality.
- Helps identify new opportunities and future solutions and strategies to help understand new markets and realise Cubic’s strategic vision.
- Participates in the production of high quality requirements, technology and COTS evaluations, business process and operational specifications and reports.
- Works with existing and potential supply chain partners to ensure that individual components meet requirements, are value for money and will work together to deliver the best overall solution.
- Interfaces with customers up to senior levels throughout the lifecycle of projects including the presentation of solutions and new ideas, helping technical and non-technical customer representatives understand the impact and benefits.
- Delivers requisite program documentation including program charters, schedules, requirements documents, specifications, design documents and testing strategies.
- Designs and supports the implementation of complex end-to-end integrated systems.
- Liaises with architects and specialists from across Cubic to share knowledge and best practice.
- Reviews and provides feedback on the work of other team members.
- Monitors, mentors, and trains less experienced staff.
- Communicates effectively with customers, team members, management staff, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Works with the Innovations teams to help specify, design, prototype and get customer feedback on new solutions.
- Works with delivery organisations to understand localised changes made to common solutions.
Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems/Software/Electrical Engineering or a related discipline, or equivalent qualification or experience.
- Extensive relevaant industry experience in a software design and development.
- Extensive experience of working in a senior engineering role with responsibility for significant aspects of design.
- Significant experience in sales engineering activities including the preparation and presentation of responses to EOI/RFI/RFP etc.
- Significant experience working in a domain which is relevant to company (fare collection, tolling, traffic management, real time passenger information).
- Experience in applying industry standard design methodologies using recognised tools and notation across enterprise solutions
- Experience of working with internal and external customers and stakeholders to develop business and technical solutions.
- Strong technology background, specifically in the delivery of complex software systems with high levels of 3rd party integration.
- Experience working on firm fixed price/schedule projects with earned value performance reporting.
- Experience with formal requirements management and traceability.
- Experience on large scale development projects following a waterfall SDLC.
- Experience working on software development projects following a Agile SDLC.
- Experience in developing, improving and following policies, processes and procedures that formally define the project life cycle within an ISO 9001 or similar environment.
- Industry-recognised Enterprise and/or Solutions Architecture qualification
- Industry-recognised Business Analysis
- Post graduate study in Systems/Software Engineering.
- Post graduate study in Business.
- Business Analysis of complex technology-driven solutions.
- Formal documentation of business requirements and solutions
- Mentoring or team leading other analysts/architects of varying experience
- Working knowledge of TOGAF, Zachman, Agile Architecture, FEA or other enterprise architecture methodologies.
- Self-motivated with an ability to work autonomously but also be an integral member of the Solutions Team.
- Able to build and maintain relationships with executive level customer representatives (CIO/CO etc.)
- Commercially astute and able to protect Cubic’s business interests while delivering superior systems solutions.
- Ability to provide leadership and influence decisions.
- Able to communicate with both team and senior level audiences, with written and spoken English of the highest quality with strong documentation and presentation skills.
- Responsible, organised, logical thought processes.
- Proven ability to pick up new skills quickly and effectively.
- The ability to work well under pressure in a variety of situations.
- Commitment to delivering high quality results against what may be tight timescales.
- Ability to travel both interstate and overseas