Cubic Transportation Systems
Working as part of a Cubic Transportation Systems project, product or bid team, you will contribute to the production of clear and high-quality solutions, descriptions and presentations which provide clarity of overall solutions and the role of technology within them. You will contribute to all parts of the systems engineering lifecycle, including requirements clarification, analysis and decomposition, architectural and software design, system integration and commissioning into live operations. You will interface with customers up to senior levels throughout the lifecycle of projects. You will provide technical guidance to software development teams and will interface with System Test and Service teams to ensure the delivery of a seamless solution. Although not a mandatory part of the role, you may be required to undertake line management and mentoring of other Systems Engineers.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to the architectural design and implementation of technical solutions in project or product development environments.
- Works closely with project managers and stakeholders to ensure leading edge, compliant, cost effective and robust solutions are specified, designed and delivered to plan and to budget.
- Leads parts of a technical solution and directs development teams to ensure requirements are accurately understood and complied with while ensuring design best practice and Cubic processes are followed.
- Interfaces with customers up to senior levels throughout the lifecycle of projects supporting the presentation of solutions and new ideas and helping technical and non-technical customer representatives understand the impact and benefits.
- Leads the integration of Cubic systems with suppliers’ systems and other COTS products to achieve the overall solution delivery.
- Supports bids and proposals through the production of clear and high-quality solutions, descriptions and presentations which provide clarity of overall solutions and the role of technology within them.
- Contributes to the estimation of Cubic effort and costs for proposed solutions. Works with suppliers to deliver the most cost effective solutions.
- Works with Cubic System Test and Service teams to ensure delivery of robust, compliant solutions that are fit for ongoing operation and support.
- If requested, undertakes line management and mentoring of other Systems Engineers.
- Comply with Cubic’s values and adherence to all company policy and procedures. In particular comply with the code of conduct, quality, security and occupational health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder is required to perform other duties assigned by their manager from time-to-time, as may be reasonably required of them.
Skills knowledge and experience
- Experience of complex software system architecture, design implementation and integration
- Demonstrable technology background, specifically in the delivery of complex software systems with high levels of 3rd party integration.
- Experience of taking a significant role in a technical team through the architecture, design and implementation of a new system development.
- Works under general direction within a clear framework of accountability and exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy
- Experience in applying design methodologies using recognised tools and notation across complex software solutions.
- Experience of working with customers and stakeholders to develop business and technical solutions.
- Experience of analysing and developing solutions in a Control Room or Software Systems Engineering environment.
- Experience of working as part of a bid team or other pre-sales roles
- Experience of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) and associated operational processes
- Business Analysis of complex technology-driven solutions.
- Formal documentation of business requirements and solutions
Education & qualifications
- A bachelor degree or equivalent (or relevant experience in lieu of)
- Industry-recognised Solutions Architecture or Systems Engineering qualification
- A bachelor degree or equivalent in engineering/technology/business discipline
- Analytical problem solver who is able to quickly and accurately identify key issues
- A focus on delivering services and outcomes, not just technical systems.
- Approachable, adaptable and able to work on your own or as part of a team.
- Confidence to challenge approaches and maximise the use of the wider Cubic capability.
- A natural curiosity and a passion for learning new skills. A continuous improvement mindset.
- An effective communicator, verbally and on paper, to both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Resilient and well organised with the ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Willingness to travel with periods away from home as required
The description provided above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities and requirements. Duties, responsibilities and requirements may change over time and according to business need.