Hey I’m Plum. The AI assistant for your money!
Since we launched in 2017, we’ve been on a mission to make everyone, starting with our awesome Plumsters, financially better off We do this by helping them automate their savings, avoid overpaying on bills, and providing a simple platform for them to invest, if they’d like to try and grow their money for the future
The social aspect of what we do is also really important to us. We’re trying to change things for the better, by helping our users fight against a confusing financial system that is stacked against the most vulnerable in society (such as those on low income or the elderly)
Specifically, here’s what we’re trying to tackle:
- 11.5m people in the UK have less than £100 in savings
- 90% of UK savings accounts pay less than inflation
- £4bn lost to the loyalty penalty every year
- 2/3 of UK adults say money stress has affected the health or wellbeing of someone they know.
In three years, we've grown from 2 co-founders sharing a rusty desk in Soho, to a brilliant, hard-working team of 45, with offices in London and Athens.
Now, with more than 900,000 people already using Plum, we are looking for a talented Sr Software Engineer with experience in a fintech environment!
Engineering at Plum
Our engineers come from a variety of backgrounds (physics, computer science, music, even history!) and we welcome all levels of experience. We value good engineering principles and healthy curiosity. We take a conservative approach to using external frameworks and we aspire to write simple, well-tested code, delivered in rapid iterations.
We currently operate a Python monolith on a large Kubernetes cluster (with automatic scaling to smooth our traffic) on Google Cloud Platform and wrangle ~1TB of data in Postgres and BigQuery. You'll get to work on bank data ingestion, payments, investments, data pipelines, user-facing features and our in-house chat framework (think NLP). On top, you'll play an integral role in taking Plum's infrastructure to an exciting next level – a suite of fault-tolerant, self-contained backend services.
How We Work
We work in "squads" – a more startup-appropriate name for saying small, cross-functional teams. Each squad has a mission and a set of KPIs to monitor and improve. We have 3 of these squads right now – Savings, Investments and Black Ops. As an engineer you'll work in a squad but you can also reach out to and work with anyone in the company.
Our Culture: Openness & Accountability
Even though you'll have a primary role, you can get involved in any aspect of the business you're interested in and contribute feedback and product ideas freely. In return, we'll expect you to back your decisions with data and logic. Features are considered finished when the data tells us that they've moved the needle.
What We Look For
Technical knowledge is critical but we are a startup treading in uncharted territory so attitude is even more important. We're looking for people that like uncertainty and want to figure out how to do things that haven’t been done before. You're a true team player and inherently positive. Where others see problems, you see solutions.
Value You'll Bring
As a Senior Fintech Engineer, you have worked in critical parts of payments systems, you understand transactions, how different payment methods work and value security while not being afraid on getting your hands dirty and enhancing a complex fintech system.
- You have 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer
- You have at least 2 years of experience working in tech for the financial sector
- You have worked in various tech projects where product, compliance and engineers are stakeholders
- Familiarity with Python is a plus
- Join one of the hottest fintech start-up in London
- We're all in this together! Own part of the company through stock options
- Flexibility to work from our Athens office (almost) whenever you want
- 25 days holiday a year, excluding bank holidays (33 in total)
- Our annual team trip, to a secret destination ✈️
- An office brimming with fruit & snacks, coffee, plants, and a vibe that’s...
If you think this sounds like you, then don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Thanks, Plum’s tame humans