Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and multi industrial leader serving a wide range of customers in more than 150 countries. Our 130,000 employees create intelligent buildings, efficient energy solutions, integrated infrastructure and next generation transportation systems that work seamlessly together to deliver on the promise of smart cities and communities. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. We are committed to helping our customers win and creating greater value for all of our stakeholders through strategic focus on our buildings and energy growth platforms. For additional information, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com or follow us @johnsoncontrols on Twitter.Our world-leading access control, video and intrusion brands - American Dynamics, Bentel, CEM Systems, DSC, Kantech, Software House and Sur-Gard - have more combined years of experience in the security industry than any other group in the world. Our security integration platforms, built by our developers from across all product disciplines allow our customers to see more, do more, and save more.
As a Senior Software Engineer within the VideoEdge team, your responsibilities will be to:
- Design, develop, test and maintain our leading video surveillance product. This includes feature development as well as the creation of deployment and platform management tools.
- Provide technical leadership in the design and product specification process
- Develop technical documentation in-line with industry best practices
- Interface with other teams within the business to ensure the timely delivery of high quality products
- Adhere to development processes including code reviews, design reviews and best practice coding guidelines
- Maintain and grow your knowledge of new technologies particularly in the field of security systems
- Mentor other team members and work together to deliver our world class product
The successful candidate will perform a key technical role within the VideoEdge software team based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, through the development of our portfolio of video surveillance products.
You will report to the VideoEdge team manager.
Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, Communication, Innovation, Problem Solving, Analysis and Teamwork
- You must have a BSc Hons Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering, or a combination of education (HND, HNC) and suitable work related experience
- You need to able to demonstrate a track record of commercial software design and development
- You must have experience or knowledge of all software development phases - product feature definition through code maintenance
- You must have experience in software development in C++ on Linux including some of the following: Installers, Containers, Scalability, Virtual Environments, Open Source Software Integration, Software Security Mechanisms, UDP/IP, TCP/IP, Sockets, low level file I/O, Process and Process control, Signal handling, STL, Video/Audio Standards, Relational Databases and Web Technologies.
- You must also have experience in diagnostic and troubleshooting as well as being confident in the leadership and execution of software development methods and processes.
It will also be a bonus to your application if you have experience with:
- Automated build systems (e.g. Jenkins)
- Scripting languages (e.g. Python, Bash)
- Video streaming technologies
- Network analysis tools (e.g. Wireshark)
- Development in an Agile environment