Horizon Discovery is seeking a Senior Scientist within the Pooled Functional Genomic Screening team to help drive the continued expansion of our state-of-the-art CRISPR-Cas9 Screening Platforms. As a Senior Scientist, you will be responsible for performing functional genomic screens (for example pooled and arrayed CRISPR-Cas9 screens) for fee-paying commercial clients, internal research programmes as well as for as well as for the purposes of developing new services. You will design and execute research programmes and your daily activities will directly align to and benefit Horizon’s goals and values.
This is a lab-based role and candidates should be highly self-motivated, able to work to tight timelines and be comfortable working under pressure in an environment with shifting priorities. Note that, where needed, this position will require flexible working to cover 7 day operations.
With a quality-first mindset:
- Collaborate, plan and perform pooled CRISPR-Cas9 screening experiments independently with minimal supervision, in accordance with project aims and specifications.
- Confidently engage with customers on a scientific level to:
- Understand their scientific needs
- Design research programmes that answer their key scientific questions
- Report on milestone delivery and project status
- Discuss results and next steps
- Analyse and interpret experimental data; identify and solve experimental problems
- Prepare high quality client facing data packages and reports, clearly disseminating the results of that research to the team and relevant stakeholders
- Maintain an awareness of the current techniques/technologies and apply these to each project
- Provide mentorship to more junior scientists
- Follow and give instructions, comply with company policies and be an effective team member in supporting the research and development functions in Horizon
Essential Competencies & Requirements
- A strong background in a relevant disease area and the ability to quickly learn new techniques and areas of biology
- Extensive experience of mammalian cell culture, excellent aseptic technique and performing various cell based assays, such as those commonly employed at Horizon (https://www.horizondiscovery.com/research-services/in-vitro-assay-services)
- Experience with transfection, transduction and techniques to modulate gene expression in mammalian cell models e.g. CRISPR-Cas9, siRNA, shRNA etc
- Proven experience and enthusiasm for assay development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Logical, analytical, creative and self-critical
- Excellent planning/organizational skills with a careful and meticulous nature and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow and give instructions, and comply with company policies
- Proven ability to disseminate research results through publication in reports and peer reviewed journals
Desirable Competencies & Requirements
- Extensive work experience after PhD (or equivalent experience) is strongly preferred
- Experience of pooled and arrayed high-throughput assays, use of automation and handling large datasets including data QC, analysis, generating relevant graphical representations etc
- Safe handling and production of lentiviral reagents
- Some knowledge of programmatic aspects of research (cost, resources and schedule
- Experience of working in an industrial setting