What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The aim of the Senior R&D Consultant role is to provide two key functions; firstly to manage and develop relationships with a portfolio of accountants, associations and other intermediaries working with them to identify and act upon areas of opportunity for Markel Tax. The second part of the role involves working with the businesses identified to help them make a claim for the relevant tax relief.
Duties and accountabilities
- Managing an existing UK based client and intermediary portfolio.
- Actively developing new relationships with UK-wide accountancy firms, trade associations and other intermediaries and maintaining existing relationships.
- Identifying relevant clients who may benefit from our services.
- Presenting to accountants, clients, trade shows and other suitable audiences.
- Attending client meetings and documenting the R&D undertaken in the relevant financial period.
- Documenting and analysing client R&D expenditure.
- Preparing corporation tax computations whilst advising clients on the most tax efficient way to utilise the tax reliefs being claimed.
- Providing HMRC with detailed technical and financial reports of client activity and dealing with any follow up communication as required.
- Overseeing and developing junior members of staff.
Technical skills / Knowledge / Experience
- The role involves face-to-face meetings with both accountants and clients so the applicant should have client facing experience and the ability to discuss potentially complex tax matters in a simple way.
- The successful candidate will have a willingness to work across the country covering different areas – it is not expected that the role will involve just one particular region or area (eg ‘the north’ or Wales).
- Due to the role involving the preparation of detailed technical reports, outstanding written English skills and strong numerical competence are essential.
- The ideal candidate will be a recently qualified finance professional with qualifications in tax and accountancy considered.
Markel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you.
We want to ensure that you have a positive experience applying for a role at Markel and are able to perform at your best. If there are any adjustments we can reasonably make to ensure that the process is accessible for you at every stage please email email@example.com
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.