Costain helps to improve people’s lives by deploying technology-based engineering solutions to meet urgent national needs across the UK’s energy, water and transportation infrastructures.
The Aone+ is a joint venture between Costain, Jacobs and Colas where they have been entrusted with completing a diverse range of maintenance, incident response, weather management and road engineering duties across over 4300 miles of major road network. The network include Area 12 Yorkshire and Humberside and Area 4 in Kent which commenced from June 2016 for five years and have a combined estimated value of between £140m and £165 million per year.
The role of a Senior Quantity Surveyor is to manage all assigned commercial activities within the project lifecycle, seeking to minimise the costs of a project and enhance value for money whilst achieving the required standards and quality in accordance with contract and Customer’s and/or General Manager’s expectations.
- To support the Managing Quantity Surveyor and Commercial Manager (schemes) in the management and education of the Under Graduate and Post Graduate Quantity surveyors.
- To understand and demonstrate, to others within the commercial team, the preparation of target prices for schemes using contract schedule of rates, and the preparation of at feasibility budgets.
- To understand and demonstrate the use of analogous estimating techniques.
- Prepare supply chain enquires, negotiate, administer and finalise/close out supply chain contracts.
- To understand and champion the “Managed Works” function and requirements of Aone+. Obtain subcontract quotations and prepare tender comparisons. Prepare and issue subcontract orders.
- Subcontract Management: to take the lead, when required, to monitor and verify subcontract expenditure including the administration of subcontract payments, implementation of subcontract change control including issuing Subcontractor Instructions and evaluation of subcontract compensation events.
- Reconcile subcontract accounts and negotiate / agree subcontract final accounts on a periodic basis.
- Ensure the cost of schemes are fully captured and check accuracy of cost capture information within costing systems. Liaising with IDT Managers to ensure correct Labour, Plant and Material records are maintained to ensure the above is achieved.
- To understand and demonstrate to the commercial team the preparation and submission of early warning notices, notice of compensation event and calculation and submission of quotations to Highways England. Ensuring timely agreement of all scheme Compensation Events in line with Contract timescales and as required.
- Regularly monitor and take the lead on ensuring timely completion of schemes Early Warning / Compensation Register.
- Where appropriate provide support and advice to quantity Surveyors and Assistants.
- Review value management and a advise on Risk management
- Relevant Degree
- Previous experience in a similar role
- NEC forms of contract
- Highways experience
- Commercial awareness
- Organisational skills
- Motivated & Hard Working
- Team player
- Good Communicator
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.