Senior Project Manager – Telecoms Product Development – Manchester
Senior Project Manager with experience of Telecoms Product Development required for our client, a leading telecommunications company.
Our Telecoms customer is currently seeking candidates who have good Project Management experience in a technical environment to work within our Development department. Working with stakeholders from across all functional areas of the business this role will be responsible for delivering a range of projects covering new product development, improvements to existing products and business change in a fast-moving environment.
We supply a broad range of communications to small, medium and large-sized business customers, the public sector and not-for-profit organisations. Our products include fixed telephony, IP telephony, hosted phone systems, broadband and data connections, mobile services, security and unified communications solutions.
- Leading feasibility and scoping exercises.
- Working with the Product Manager or Project Sponsor to document the project scope.
- Agree project schedule and resourcing with key resource holders in Development and Operational teams.
- Initiating new projects.
- Working with virtual teams to take ownership for delivery of projects end to end.
- Working closely with teams including Product Managers, Software Development, Network Engineering and Operations.
- Tracking project Capex.
- Forecasting resource use for current and future projects.
- Identifying project risks and issues and initiating appropriate mitigation actions.
- Tracking project tasks and actions to completion.
- Reporting progress against schedule.
- Independently analyse the state of the project based on evidence and report the true state to senior management.
- Positively support the wider improvement of project processes.
Experience and qualifications
- Experience in managing a portfolio of projects is essential
- Project Management in a product development environment in Software or Telecommunications industries is essential.
- End to end project management from scoping and feasibility through to launch and in-life service is essential.
- Working in agile development environments is essential.
- Although deep technical expertise is not necessary, an ability to understand technical solutions and be able to communicate these between teams is necessary
- Interpersonal skills: to build engagement; help drive change; negotiate priorities and to resolve conflicts among project stakeholders (such as customers, product management, and engineering).
- Analytical skills: to critically evaluate the information gathered from multiple sources; abstract up from low-level information to a more general understanding; distinguish presented user requests from the underlying true needs; and distinguish solution ideas from requirements.
- Project management skills: ability to structure a project; plan a schedule; issue, risk and change management
- Communication skills: can communicate effectively at all levels of the organization
- Interviewing skills: to talk with individuals and groups about their needs and ask the right questions to surface essential requirements information
- Listening skills: to understand what people say and to detect what they might be hesitant to say
- Facilitation skills, to lead e.g. project scoping or issue resolution workshops.
- Writing skills: to communicate information effectively to customers, marketing, managers, and technical staff
- Administration skills: can set up and administer projects.
Personal qualities, skills and values
- Be a confident and conscientious ‘self-starter’ who will: be able to set own deliverables; execute tasks to completion without the need for supervision; adapt easily to changing priorities; and deliver against objectives.
- Be very organized, flexible, inquisitive, independent and self-aware.
- Enjoy getting into the detail but being able to stand back and appreciate the broader perspective.
- Enjoy working alongside other hard-working people within a very flat, closely knit yet decentralised structure.
- Enjoy teamwork and be willing and able to take the lead when required, influencing and driving change.
- Be open in your communications - we have no time for politics nor arrogance.
- Put customers first: both internal and external.
- Be cost-conscious without making false economies.
- Flexible, able to work with different technologies and stakeholder groups and people from broad range of backgrounds.
Excellent benefits package includes:
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Childcare vouchers and paid paternity leave
- Enhanced maternity / adoption payment and return to work bonus
- Numerous online discounts
- Eye care vouchers
- Ride2Work scheme
+ up to 10% bonus and benefits