The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
With a growing global circulation and a reputation for insightful analysis and opinion on every aspect of world events, The Economist is one of the most widely recognised and well-read current affairs publications and the foundation of our digital consumer product portfolio.
We are developing a world-class product management organisation and have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Product Manager to help us define and create better editorial tools for our journalists.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager who will come in on a fixed term contract (FTC) basis to help us upgrade our Content Management System to a new digital platform and create newsletter-authoring tools so we can expand our output of newsletters. This position may lead to a permanent position.
This role will report to a new Head of Product we are hiring and will be part of the core Economist consumer publishing and subscription product team.
- Reports to the Head of Product
- Close working with senior functional stakeholders across a matrix structure, especially editorial and technology teams
How you will contribute:
- Experience working on editorial tools such as content management systems (CMS), newsletters and data visualisation tools
- Experience of working closely with editorial stakeholders, and understanding of complex editorial workflows and needs
- Understanding of what good editorial tools and workflows look like and ability to influence tech team and editors to make the changes necessary
- Previous experience collaborating with other product managers who own the front-end experience, to ensure any workflow changes are consistent with the user experience for the end customer
- Experience working with UX or design team members in mapping existing workflows and designing new workflows
- Knowledge of documenting use cases, requirements and designs for tech team and vendors
- Previous experience working with CMS, newsletter or data visualization vendors and getting the best out of them
- Knowledge of taxonomy, auto-tagging, semantic analysis and data structures for content would be an advantage
- Experience creating training documents or materials and conducting training for editorial teams would be a big plus
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role are:
- Builder: Someone who has built great editorial tools or experiences and is excited by the opportunity to do so
- Listener: A great listener who can understand editorial pain-points and synthesise them into requirements
- Documenter: Someone strong on documenting use cases, workflows and requirements to outside vendors or internal tech teams
- Communicator: An amazing communicator who is able to explain their vision of what the product needs to do both to outside vendors and internal technology teams while taking editorial newsrooms on the journey with them
- Technical knowledge: Someone who can get into the tech details of a back-end platform or product to understand how to get the most out of it based on what our editors and journalists are looking to do
- Quick learner and quick starter: Coming into an existing team, understanding existing workflows and stakeholders will be key. So being a quick learner and a quick starter are vital