Pall Corporation is a global leader in high-tech filtration, separation, and purification, serving the diverse needs of customers across the broad spectrum of life sciences and industry.
Pall Life Sciences provides cutting-edge products and services to meet the demanding needs of customers discovering, developing and producing biotech drugs, vaccines, cell therapies and classic pharmaceuticals. Pall offers advanced medical technologies, which are often a patient’s last line of defense from dangerous pathogens. Pall’s food and beverage products provide critical protection from contaminants during various manufacturing steps.
Pall Industrial serves a diverse range of customers in the microelectronics, aerospace, fuels, petrochemical, chemical, automotive, and power generation industries. Pall is a key supplier to the innovative and demanding semiconductor and consumer electronics industries, and provides filtration products used in critical applications on commercial and military aerospace vehicles. Pall products are key to the reliability of industrial equipment. Pall’s engineered solutions help municipal and industrial customers address mounting water quality, scarcity and demand issues, and help energy companies maximize production and develop commercially successful next generation fuels.
Headquartered in Port Washington, New York, Pall has offices and plants throughout the world.
To learn more about Pall, please visit https://www.pall.com/en/about-pall.html.
We are currently seeking aSenior/Principal Human Factors Engineerto support our growing business.
We are seeking a talented Senior/Principal Human Factors Engineer to join our User Experience team.
This is a hands-on design position that contributes collaboratively with key partners to both development of design strategies and design functions. We have embarked on a multi-year plan to build from scratch a world class design competencies within Pall Corporation and this position needs to be filled by an emerging world class Human Factors Engineer who can help grow the department’s capabilities whilst delivering breakthrough design solutions for Pall and its customers. This position will focus primarily on Experience Design (usability or user research) programs collaborating closely with the Director of User Experience.
The role will be based at our R&D Centre of Excellence in Portsmouth UK and will be predominantly focused on our Life Sciences business.
Who are we looking for:
Are you a dynamic verbal and visual storyteller? Are you interested in contributing to a number of projects as part of a hands-on, collaborative, small-team environment and help build the competencies within the business?
We believe in working through design problems in group situations, so facilitating ideation and concept generation with others is important. You’ll also be comfortable having your work critiqued, and collaborating closely with fellow designers and engineers.
You will have excellent project management and leadership skills, an enthusiastic ‘hands-on’ approach, and exceptional attention to detail.
A good listener and a quick learner, you have the ability to quickly fit into a new environment, engage easily with others, and motivate them to achieve desired results.
Experience in defining and evaluating holistic user experiences.
Candidates should have the passion and potential to work across a breadth of sectors and project types as well as depth of interest and skills in a particular area; such as data analysis, synthesis and visualization, prototyping, ethnography, UX design, software development, or storytelling.
Finally, and above all else, we'll encourage you to be brave, take risks and fail. We value the complexity in our products, but know it has to be communicated in meaningful ways. You'll be encouraged to showcase and speak about your work with the team, and get the chance to attend events that'll help develop your thinking.
Role and Duties:
- Defines and implements effective and efficient processes and tools for developing usable and satisfying product experience
- Manages and actively participates in the creation of all experience designs to meet project schedules with highest quality and within budget.
- Serves as independent reviewer of usability activities and artefacts to ensure design solutions meet customer expectations for use.
- Conducts rapid iterative usability testing of wireframes, mock-ups, and prototypes.
- Plans & conducts research activities for gathering user requirements
- Translates research findings into design recommendations and specifications
- Performs validation usability testing to determine whether features and products have met business and usability objectives.
- In preparing research proposals, clarifies research goals based on input from product development teams and design teams.
- Develops innovative strategies to answer research questions with limited resources.
- Designs research protocols and prepare research plans.
- Plans user research activities such as participant recruiting and scheduling, materials production, lab preparation, and other logistics.
- Creates research materials as necessary
- Develops experience requirements specifications.
- Develops mock-up / prototype interaction designs, including user interaction models, information architecture, wire frames and screen flows.
- Work with designers to conduct customer studies of mock-ups, prototypes and experience; and iterate designs based on usability test results.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Factors, Ergonomics, Psychology or related disciplines such as Industrial Design, Experience Design, Interaction Design.
- Previous relevant experience of product design and/or New Product Development
- Strong hands-on design development experience as well as a cross functional leadership experience
- Use of user-centred design methodologies and exposure to Human Factors research techniques
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- An intuitive understanding of mechanical engineering - the ability to devise clever mechanical solutions for complex problems
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, adhering to clear design processes.
- An understanding of practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing
- Effectively communicate through 2D and 3D (e.g. sketching, CAD, model making etc.)
- Enthusiasm to initiate, facilitate and participate in creative thinking sessions, workshops and training events
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision