As a global multi-disciplinary consultancy Atkins offers a range of independent and unbiased advice in engineering, technical and strategic advisory services to a wide breadth of markets and clients.
The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division within Atkins works at the leading edge of Safety Critical Systems and is currently recruiting for a Senior/Principal (Air) Safety Consultant.
Atkins is a member of the Aurora Engineering Partnership which, subject to contract, will support the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) Equipment & Support (DE&S) transformation strategy as the Engineering Delivery Partner.
A safety consultant is required within the Air Traffic Management (ATM) area, to be based either in Aldershot or in Bristol. While the role will be ATM focussed, flexibility to work on safety projects across other domains would be highly beneficial: e.g. transport, energy, defence. The successful applicant will have a successful track record in safety management, safety analysis and safety case development.
The role will involve technical leadership of people, projects and bids, acting as the client interface in order to ensure that client satisfaction is maintained whilst delivering in such a way that costs and risks to Atkins are well managed.
The successful individual will be a professional and trustworthy personality, able to support client relationships. They may work on multiple projects at any one time and will need to be adaptable to a dynamic consultancy environment. They will support business development activities and the development of winning bids.
They will be able to work both in a team and on their own to deliver results. They will have a proven record of being able to innovate in their work and being able to transfer knowledge of the methodologies that they develop to both other staff and clients. Their written work will be clear, concise and coherent and they will be able to demonstrate competent use of tools such as MS-Office, Reliability Workbench/Fault Tree+, Assurance and Safety Case Environment (ASCE), eCassandra®, etc.
Overview / Responsibilities
Successful candidate will be required to travel regionally and nationally as per role and project needs.
Prime responsibilities for the role are:
• Successful delivery of safety projects.
• Development of successful safety proposals to solve technical challenges for clients.
• Managing and mentoring others to deliver results.• Ensuring that the commercial risk to the company from the projects undertaken is minimised and well managed.
• Working with all stakeholders to deliver projects to time, cost and client satisfaction.
Skills / Qualifications
• Educated to degree level or equivalent.
• Member of professional institution, Chartered Engineer or equivalent
.• Masters level qualification in Safety or equivalent experience.
Technical Knowledge and Experience
• Knowledge and experience of the civil and military regulatory environments for Air Traffic Management (ATM)
• Knowledge of safety within the ATM domain, either:o Civil ATM including the EUROCONTROL Safety Assessment Methodology, the EUROCONTROL Safety Regulatory Requirements and the Single European Skies legislation; and / oro Military ATM/Air Defence, including the application of Def Stan 00-56, Project-Oriented Safety Management System (POSMS), JSP454, and the Military Aviation Authority Regulatory Publications.
• Knowledge and experience of the totality of people, procedures and equipment (both hardware and software) in the ATM context and to be able to manage safety activities and develop safety assurance arguments for each element.
• An awareness of the following and their relevance to safety management: HASAWA, relevant MAA regulatory publications, IEC 61508, ED-153, ED12C / DO 178C, ED-109A / DO278A, JSP 454.
• Able to develop, apply and explain safety methodologies
• Knowledge of safety argument structures and methods utilised in Safety Cases and Safety Assessments together with supporting analysis techniques methods such as Fault Tree Analysis, Event Tree Analysis, Hazard Identification, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis.
• Understand the ALARP concept and how ALARP arguments are made
• Understand the relevance of Human Factors to operational safety and be able to integrate HF considerations into safety activities.
• Excellent verbal communication skills;
• Able to write clear, coherent documentation using MS-Office
• Able to present ideas clearly and persuasively to an audience, enabling knowledge transfer.
• Able to lead other staff in the successful delivery of a project.
• Able to understand and apply company project management processes.
• An awareness of financial and commercial management
• Able to work both independently and in teams
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Able to provide technical leadership to others and contribute to thought leadership in the business.
• Experience in safety analysis and safety management in non ATM domain activities.
• Able to understand and apply risk financial and commercial management processes.
• Able to develop technical and financial bids in response to invitation to tender documents and for those bids to follow through to successful projects.
• Experience in the broader aviation domain.• Formal qualification as an Independent Safety Auditor.
• Practical experience in software safety analysis tools and techniques (e.g. IEC 61508, ED-153, ED12C / DO-178C, ED-109A / DO278A). • Experience of consultancy selling to external clients.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.