Lichfields is the pre-eminent planning and development consultancy in the UK and is recognised as one of the ‘Best Places to Work in Property’ by Property Week magazine. We work within all sectors advising both the private and public sectors on a wide range of planning and development work, including on many of the largest and most complex projects.
Lichfields’ Birmingham office was established less than two years’ ago, and in this short period it has grown remarkably despite the economic and pandemic headwinds. Key to its success has been adoption of a business strategy that seeks to maintain a wide and diverse regional client base across identified growth sectors.
We are now seeking to appoint a dynamic Associate Director (or well qualified Senior Planning and Development Consultant) with around five years' experience, maybe more, to work closely with one of the Senior Directors on new major consultancy projects primarily, but not exclusively, public and private sector and private/public sector partnership generated. These projects will require planning policy, development management and project management skills, underpinned by a sound commercial approach and judgement. Other experience in areas such as economic development and analysis, environmental assessment and consultation strategy is desirable, but not essential. Demonstrable experience in building and maintaining productive relationships with clients and other consultancy organisations will also be relevant.
We are looking for someone who is a team player and has a willingness to develop and widen their skills, apply these to evolve their consultancy knowledge, and sell this expertise to our clients.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with public and private sector clients. Establish credibility; influence, where appropriate, and provide excellent client service;
- Undertake planning and development project work as required, undertaking any initiatives identified and designated from time to time by the Senior Directors responsible for management of the Birmingham Office team;
- Provide professional and technical support to the Senior Director responsible for growing the company’s public and private sector and public/private sector partnership portfolio across the Midlands, South and South-west of the country;
- Draft reports, technical papers, minutes of meetings etc;
- Prepare tender submissions, fee estimates and quotations;
- Ensure that client projects are managed effectively and efficiently, and in line with industry and company best practice;
- Assist in the maintenance of knowledge management and information systems in relation to tender processes and wider marketing initiatives, liaising with the Marketing Director and Public Sector Business Development Group, as appropriate;
- Build knowledge and experience in required practice areas through continuing professional development, internal, and external, to the company
- Ensure timeliness of billing and debt collection;
- Understand the firm’s Corporate Business Plan; Public Sector Marketing Strategy and Birmingham Office Marketing Strategy;
- Maintain time records at all times;
- Ensure that work is compliant with company quality assurance and other relevant procedures;
- Provide support and guidance to more junior members of the team.
- Significant experience (around five years) from a leading planning and development consultancy in two or more of the following environments: public sector planning and development advisory; planning policy and development management of major urban development schemes; project management of multi-disciplinary consultancy teams; development consultancy; specialist advisory, including economic development and economic impact assessment;
- Strong academic results (minimum 2:1 at undergraduate degree level);
- MRTPI and/or RICS (Planning and Development) professional membership.
Candidates should demonstrate strong interpersonal, presentation and influencing skills, together with excellent writing skills and the ability to formulate, consider and select the most appropriate technical and policy solutions. The role will require working on multiple projects so a proven ability to manage your own time, workload and problem solve is critical along with strong relationship management. You will also be able to demonstrate knowledge of, and experience in, business development and marketing and the skills needed to win new work and innovate as these are important elements of this role.
Lichfields offers a highly competitive benefits package, and is a very sociable company making it a great place to work.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.