Senior Mechanical Engineer - Oxford- Interview in w/c 4th Feb
Our oil and gas industry client based in Oxford is seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer.
The successful applicant will be able to work to very rapid product development and commercialisation timescales, taking products through the latter stages of the development process including technical review, prototyping, accelerated life testing, live trials, product improvement initiatives and certification.
The successful applicant will be able to work to tight deadlines, have strong communication skills, and the ability to work independently within a small team. They will be working alongside talented PhD level engineers and would be expected to integrate well into this environment, contributing to a range of live projects while taking the lead on others. The successful applicant will report to the Principal Engineer, but a high degree of technical independence is expected. This is a role with a high degree of responsibility and autonomy.
Areas in which the recruit is expected to be capable of taking a technical lead within the company include the following:
- Taking new products from design / prototype stage through to a market ready product offering
- Design optimisation; driven by specific technical, customer or regulatory requirements or to improve the overall manufacturing readiness of new products
- Produce drawings in an appropriate CAD package, including detailed understanding of tolerancing, dimensioning and stress analysis (finite element and hand calculation)
Skills and Experience
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- 3-5 years of industry experience including new product development activity
- Track record of delivering technical solutions where creative thinking and a pragmatic, problem solving mindset is key
- Proficiency in CAD modelling and producing manufacturing drawings using GD&T
- Experience of stress analysis of safety-critical components
- Experience of the design and specification of hydraulic systems
- Experience of seal design, particularly dynamic seals
- Mechanical design and stressing of pressure vessels or piping components