The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties us together is the objectivity of our opinion, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Senior Manager, Client Marketing & Communications will be responsible for managing the B2B and trade marketing efforts of the Publisher Team to clients and agencies, as well as more specifically being point person for all the Publisher Team’s PR and Comms with B2B and trade media outlets across US and EMEA.
Communicating a clear and consistent market position and strategy for the Publisher Team to the marketing industry will be the central focus of the role. Within that, key areas will include managing our client-facing presence on social channels, our awards entries, the client-facing website, trade PR relationships and other communications to our audience of clients and advertising agencies.
How you will contribute:
Client Marketing responsibilities:
- Manage agency relationship for the successful continuation of our client communications strategy (Thought That Counts)
- Manage the successful delivery of The Economist's presence at sponsored trade events, specifically our activation at Cannes Lions, covering logistics, marketing around the event and key liaison with the Cannes Lions team.
- Create content for client-facing channels, including writing press releases, live tweeting from events, and thinking editorially about new content that can be created.
- Manage our client and trade-facing social following, to ensure we grow our influence with a relevant audience
- Update the MarketingSolutions.Economist.com website
- Assist with the creation of invitations and other marketing collateral
- Review competitive positioning in the market and ensure we are clearly communicating our point of difference.
- Drive the development of thought leadership materials (briefing agencies, reviewing agency work as necessary).
- Content & Programmes: Lead and take point responsibility for all trade media outreach in the EMEA and the US for The Economist Publisher Team in its entirety (both commercial and circulation based stories)
- In tandem with corp comms:
- Develop the profiles of key members of The Publisher Team through trade media relations, by-lined pieces, and other opportunities
- Identify and oversee involvement in special reports, inserts or other programs in trade media that the Publisher Team can be part of and leverage
- Interface with global PR firms to surface success stories relevant to specific regions
- Develop and manage our total trade Awards strategy (along with external marketing agencies involved) for both client campaigns andEconomist marketing campaigns
- In tandem with corp comms, and events manager, produce briefing materials for spokespeople, and advice for senior management and support in the development of overall communications strategy.
- Collaborate with wider communications team on major programs, events, campaigns and speaking opportunities
- Provide performance tracking and reporting of the above activities for wider team
The desirable skills for this role include:
- Previous experience creating a marketing strategy and working with agencies is ideal
- Proven experience leading the marketing effort at an agency, publisher or other media organisation desirable
- Experience having managed editorial calendars for a blog or other website
- The ability to write compelling and attention-grabbing copy
- The ability to project manage complex activations
- An excellent ability to manage stakeholders (internal and external)
- Experience of writing awards entries, trade press releases desirable
- Experience using a range of social platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and others
- A high level of writing ability in English. Able to write blog posts, tweets, press releases and other content
- An interest in, and understanding of current trends in media, advertising communications and technology
- A strong ability to multi-task and move between distinct projects
- A passion for the work and editorial of The Economist a definite advantage