Senior Legal Counsel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The GBG Legal Team plays a vital role in the success GBG’s global identity data intelligence business.
As a team, our aim is to adopt a market leading customer centric stance – both to our external clients and internal colleagues. We’ve been recognised for the contribution we make and for our initiatives to streamline processes and to provide commercial legal support to this fast paced and innovative organisation.
Highlights include being shortlisted for various In-House Legal Awards in 2016/17.
You will work closely with GBG’s Deputy General Counsel as part of the Group’s senior in-house legal function to provide advice and support services to the business across a wide range of commercial and contractual matters. The role will require you to assist the Managing Director for the APAC Region on a variety of matters and will involve direct exposure to and interaction with the Group’s Executive Team on a range of high profile and business critical operations.
What you will do…
You will be responsible for:
• Assisting the Deputy General Counsel and UK based Senior Legal Counsel on APAC specific matters.
• The legal, commercial contract negotiation and regulatory risk management aspects of the APAC division of GBG.
• Negotiating complex global supply contracts and client agreements.
• Advising on data protection and compliance matters.
• Drafting and updating standard contract terms and variations to standard contracts and agreements.
• Prioritising workloads and communicating with senior management.
• Monitoring changes in relevant legislation and taking appropriate action.
• Collaborating with a broad range of other internal and external contacts.
• Liaising with external counsel and managing costs budgets where required.
To enable you to be successful, we are looking for…
• Law degree and legal qualification (practicing certificate / bar qualification) in at least one of: China, US, UK, Hong Kong, Singapore or Australia.
• You will have practiced law either as a professionally qualified lawyer or as an in-house lawyer and have had significant experience of working with clients in APAC or advising on law and commercial practice in APAC.
• Strong ability in legal drafting and negotiation as well as sound knowledge of contract and commercial law. Familiarity with IT/Tech, data or professional services is also beneficial.
• Experience working in a multinational company and coordinating projects with multiple stakeholders is also very helpful.
• Integrity – You should be reliable, honest and trustworthy. We are looking for an individual who is committed to achieving high levels of customer satisfaction and supporting the aims and objectives of the legal department.
• Interpersonal Skills – We work collaboratively as a team so are looking for an individual who enjoys working with others and is good at building positive relationships with colleagues and customers.
• Persuasiveness – You must be a good communicator and have the ability to offer effective, commercial and persuasive advice on complex issues. As negotiating with suppliers and customers is essential to this role you should be able to explain your position in an articulate, constructive and confident manner.
• Planning and Organising – We work in a fast paced environment so are looking for someone who possesses strong time management and organisational skills. You should be able to plan your time effectively to ensure work can be completed within agreed timescales.
• Energy and Drive –You should be self-motivated, enthusiastic and keen to learn. We love to work with individuals who show passion and pride in their work and are willing to take initiative to deliver a high quality service. You should also be able to work autonomously and under pressure.
• As you will be working as part of the Group’s legal team (based at GBG’s head office in Chester, UK) travel to the UK and other international offices is likely to form part an integral of this role.