The Senior Legal Counsel - EMEA will perform broad legal assignments that are varied and complex in character, acting as counsel to managers and senior technical employees in business units, the sales, services and support organization, marketing, IT, business operations, human resources and the finance department. Specifically, the individual will spend a significant amount of his/her time preparing and reviewing variety of contracts and advising on various legal issues involving, among other things, intellectual property, technology licensing, software licenses, and internal IP-related processes and training within EMEA. **This role is a fixed term contract until January 2021.
• Negotiates software licenses, service agreements, nondisclosure agreements and other technology agreements with customers and corporate partners.
• Operates under broad general supervision of Director of Legal - EMEA who operates from our Milton Park, UK office, with latitude for individual judgment and creativity.
• While the individual in this role will have access to guidelines and solicit input from his manager and colleagues, this position requires the use of both sound legal and business judgment.
• Interacts with managers and employees at the company’s numerous EMEA location(s), other EMEA managers and other managers in the U.S., playing a key role in identifying potential obstacles and in helping move each sales and consulting opportunity forward.
• Responsible for foreseeing and protecting the company against legal risks arising under local and US corporate laws and regulations.
• Works directly with the company’s Global Legal Team and outside law firms and advisors.
• Will periodically review standard terms and business practices in order to determine opportunities for contract and process improvement – both globally and, where appropriate, on a local basis.
• Will draft localized forms and non-standard contract provisions.
• Acts as the Regional Trade Compliance Lead for EMEA, working closely with the Sales Team, and the Channel Management team in EMEA and globally where relevant.
• Provides advice on trade compliance matters including competition law. This specifically includes updating templates, reviewing and negotiating distribution and resellers agreements.
• Works with the company’s outside law firms and advisors in trade compliance matters within EMEA.
• Will provide education and training of sales force and other staff on legal policies and procedures.
• Makes recommendations which may have an important bearing on the conduct of the company’s business.
• Investigates local laws and provides recommendations on any legal area as may be asked by management from time to time.
• Handling other job-related duties that may be assigned by management from time to time.
• Proactively contributes to any opportunity to improve Legal Operations.
• Law degree from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in any EU member state.
• Minimum of five years legal experience, with emphasis in some or all of the following areas: contract drafting, review and negotiation; competition law;
• Experience with technology and/or software companies.
• The English language is the primary language. Any other European language is a plus.
• Must be able to quickly identify issues, communicate to management, and recommend solutions.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to resist pressure from internal clients.
• Occasional travel required.
• General knowledge of laws and regulations applicable to corporations in general and software companies.
• Detail oriented.
• Ability to quickly identify matters and solutions and present them in a clear and articulate way.
• Excellent time management, communications, decision-making, presentation, writing and organization skills.
• Interested in technology, computers and software.
• Desire to learn new areas of the law.
CULTURE AND VALUES
Culture and values are incredibly important to ANSYS. They inform us of who we are, of how we act. Values aren't posters hanging on a wall or about trite or glib slogans. They aren't about rules and regulations. They can't just be handed down the organization. They are shared beliefs – guideposts that we all follow when we're facing a challenge or a decision. Our values tell us how we live our lives; how we approach our jobs. Our values are crucial for fostering a culture of winning for our company:
• Customer focus
• Results and Accountability
• Transparency and Integrity
• Sense of urgency
• Collaboration and Teamwork
ANSYS does not accept unsolicited referrals for vacancies, and any unsolicited referral will become the property of ANSYS. Upon hire, no fee will be owed to the agency, person, or entity.