- Requisition ID: 222709
- Relocation Authorised: National - Single
- Project: NS&E UK
- Location: Various Locations, UK
- Other Requirements: Ability to obtain and maintain required SC security clearance
Project Background and Job Overview
This position is for a Senior Industrial/Systems Engineer who will work a multi-year United Kingdom (UK) nuclear infrastructure programme for which Bechtel will provide PMO (including Project, Engineering, Commercial and Construction Management) services. The programme involves a multi-billion investment in nuclear and non-nuclear facilities.
The Senior Systems Engineer will be responsible for developing packages for the UK nuclear infrastructure programme. The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for having a working knowledge of precedents in the Senior Systems Engineering area, the principles and practices of related technical areas and of coordinating work with other technical disciplines. The Senior Systems Engineer understands the standard engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating, and conducts independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques. Normally uses conventional approaches to technical problems encountered. Provides technical direction and assigns work to engineers, designers, and drafters who assist on specific assignments. The Senior Systems Engineer reports directly to the Systems Engineering Manager in the UK nuclear infrastructure programme.
The position is open to United Kingdom (UK) Nationals only. UK/US dual citizens may be considered. The work will be performed in various locations across the UK.
This position is also subject to a successful interview and agreement upon terms and conditions of employment. Candidate must be able to obtain an SC security clearance.
- Develops packages for the UK nuclear infrastructure programme.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work for the UK nuclear infrastructure programme.
- Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
- Coordinates engineering efforts between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
- When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
- Assists in on-the-job training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepares letters to vendors and clients.
- Reviews bid analyses and makes recommendation.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
- Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantify take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
- Reviews and checks work of subordinate Systems Engineers.
- Prepare functional/system analysis to define facility/system design requirements.
- Establish means of verifying requirements implementation, including acceptance criteria.
- Prepare system and facility design criteria documents.
- Support system-level design verification, requirements verification, test requirements specification, and requirements flowdown and traceability.
- Perform impact analyses for proposed requirement changes.
- Perform assessments to validate and verify implementation and traceability of requirements into design.
- Participate in technical discussions to resolve system design issues.
- Research and document system operations and limits from the review of design and basis documents and from discussions with system designers.
- Perform model-based Systems Engineering using a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) automation tool (e.g. CRADLE by 3SL, IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations).
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Must be knowledgeable on systems, calculations, equipment, applications of methods, materials, and computers used within the Systems Engineering discipline.
- Must be knowledgeable on project controls within Systems Engineering.
- Must be knowledgeable of industry /regulatory codes and standards, and design criteria pertinent to the Systems Engineering discipline.
- Must possess an understanding of systems engineering principles and methods.
- Must be knowledgeable on systems engineering tools, such as CRADLE by 3SL, IBM® Rationale DOORS® or Innoslate by Spec Innovations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering or a related field (e.g. Industrial, Mechanical, Chemical or Nuclear Engineering) from an accredited university or college.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an SC security clearance.
- Will have delivered on at least 2 projects from concept through to completion in a systems engineering role
- Will have worked on at least one major infrastructure programme of capital value > £500M.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Must have experience working with systems engineering tools.
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Experience on nuclear and/or defense projects.
- Experience on large construction projects within the UK.
- International Council of Systems Engineering (INCOSE) Certification.
Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Bechtel serves the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. www.bechtel.com
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.