Exciting opportunities in a truly unique environment.
If you want to work in a unique and innovative environment, then AWE could be the perfect place for you – whether you are a scientist, an engineer, a mechanic or a business professional. Whatever stage you’re at in your career, we’re always looking for high quality candidates.
Senior Human Factors Specialist
Location – Reading/Basingstoke area
Package – £42,000.00 - £65,000.00 plus contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, additional flexible benefits scheme and excellent work/life balance including 9 day working fortnight.
AWE has been named in the Sunday Times top 25 big companies to work for in 2019.
Working for one of the area’s largest employers and enjoying an excellent work/life balance, our engineers gain experience on a wide variety of equipment and projects and can make a direct and visible contribution to the successful running of the business.
As the Senior Human Factors Specialist, you will lead the Human Factors input to the design and assessment of AWE’s facilities and processes relating to production and research operations to improve system performance and reliability through the application of user-centred design and assessment.
Within this position you will:
- Ensure compliance with Company Assurance Environment, Safety, Health and Quality (ESH&Q) and statutory requirements.
- Provide an Intelligent Customer interface with Regulators at a project level.
- Provide subject matter expertise to Design and Peer review.
- Promote Human Factors Review Learn and Improve.
- Lead the production of Human Factors assessments and other technical inputs to the design process and to safety cases and safety documentation for a range of facilities including radioactive, explosives and chemical plant.
- Provide internal Human Factors consultancy.
- Lead Human Factors research relating to AWE’s activities.
- Develop relationships with external resource providers.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs
To be successful in this role you will need to have:
- Higher education qualification in relevant science or engineering discipline.
- Experience in the field of human factors assessment for high hazard processes.
- Experience of applying human factors methods in a dynamic, multi-disciplined environment.
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.