Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently this year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
We recently secured Series B funding and have ambitious plans for the future. From growing our user base, to improving our product, there is a lot of work to do to take Memrise to the next level.
Our goal is to become the world’s most entertaining learning app, and to achieve this we need the help of a Senior Games Designer to ensure our learning experience is uniquely effective, interesting, rewarding and engrossing over the long term.
If you’ve had a broad career, exploring all kinds of game design, from gambling to board games, F2P mobile to live events, and you want to apply what you’ve learned about how people and games work to help others learn skills that will fundamentally change their minds and their lives, then this is the role for you. It’s a wonderfully diverse environment, with a genuinely positive mission and a desire to find solutions to hard problems, and a sincere respect for the practice of game design. Help us change people’s minds, to change their lives, to change their worlds.
What will you be doing day to day?
- Using their experience of F2P economy design to develop new features and systems for Memrise that will improve monetisation, engagement and retention
- Ensuring that the structural and mechanical underpinnings of the app are remarkably effective at retaining, engaging and educating our users
- Educating the larger organisation about the principles of good game mechanics
- Learning from the organisation about the principles of learning and the specifics of language learning
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to help deliver the larger product vision
- Meeting business objectives and targets while delighting our users
- Delivering autonomous work in great alignment with the needs of the larger organisation
What are we ideally looking for?
- You have first rate people skills, able to balance the needs of various stakeholders and subject matter experts, as well as manage 2 direct reports
- Specific experience of successfully designing for retention and engagement on mobile, this is very likely F2P economy and game design experience
- You'll be able to see the big picture and sweat the details, in that order
- Your understanding of user motivations, behavioural economics, and value perception is top notch
Nice to Have:
- Background in gaming, entertainment or ed-tech
- Experience in a B2C company
- Experience working in a start-up or scale-up environment
- Passion for languages and creating new ways to learn them
But even if you aren’t completely confident that you fit our exact criteria, please get in touch nevertheless. Humility is a wonderful thing and we’re not interested in hiring ‘rockstars’ or ‘ninjas’. And we're, above all, just as interested in character as in talent!
- A fully paid Memrise account, of course
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- Budget for training, conferences and books
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance
- Quarterly hackathons
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- 50% off a PureGym membership
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: team vacations, painting, meditation, yoga, football, dodgeball, running club, board games, and boxing classes.