Sherwin-Williams is the largest paints and coatings company in the world. With $15.8 billion in sales, more than 4,100 stores, and 140 manufacturing and distribution centers worldwide. Our 60,000 employees across the globe are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to launch and grow a career. Find yours and join us today.
Job Title: Senior Fire Protection Engineer
Mission of the role:
Providing specialist engineering advice and the interpretation of customer’s exact requirements for passive fire protection in order to produce an estimate of Firetex product requirements and/or specification requirements. Effective communication of the advice/estimate to the customer, sales team and project tracking in order to assist “Team Sherwin” to ensure estimates are converted to orders. Gain a reputation of service excellence for the department which will create additional enquiries.
• To encourage and support the team in the interpretation of engineering and architectural requirements, e.g. design drawings - demonstrating a strong "CAN DO" attitude
• The operation of CAD, Planswift, BIM and AutoCAD in the preparation of quotes and the provision of information to customers
• Provide specialist engineering advice to the customers and to other team members including the sales team
• To keep the team leader informed of progress regarding project issues and deadline and assist the TL in producing the daily plan where necessary
• To answer customer’s technical fire related queries (including our product calculation software) & make recommendations in respect of all Firetex products
• To produce high quality and accurate project estimates for Firetex intumescent products, utilising the best and most appropriate approach on a project by project basis including advanced or simplified techniques and QS style approaches
• Able to meet strict deadlines for return of tender submissions and notify the team leader upon commencement if progress will not or is unlikely to meet the plan
• Delivers estimate results to the customer, as well as appropriate members of the sales team to assist in them converting these inquiries to revenue
• Enables and delivers effective training and development for individuals and the team as well as "external" customers (within our company and outside of it)
• Achievement of effective communication as well as developing effective working relationships both within own team and between other teams, particularly external sales and project tracking
• Liaise with other TL's / Planners to provide a clear direction/plan daily for FEET as well as notifying the sales team of the daily plans
• Ensures a proactive approach to implementation of all H&S and security requirements
• Enables and helps to deliver software development to ensure that we have the most cost effective and efficient electronic means of dealing with Firetex enquiries
• Working with the sales teams ensure proactive, focused and prioritised use of the team's available resources, helping to manage customer expectation
• Keep the customer fully informed on project progress and deadline issues
• A Level (or equivalent) Maths and English
• Professional Structural Engineering Qualification to HTC/Graduate Engineering (or equivalent)
• Advanced steelwork & contract knowledge (with steel fabricator or engineering consultancy)
• Experience of working at a Fire Testing Laboratory (as an engineer) as well as knowledge of fire engineering and/or fire resistance is desirable
Personal Qualities and Behaviours:
• Ability to read and interpret structural engineering and architectural drawings
• To have a broad knowledge and understanding of structural steelwork, general engineering and contracting principles
• Ability to operate computer software, particularly Firetex product calculation and Microsoft office packages
• Ability to operate CAD/QS software, particularly AutoCAD, Planswift & BIM (3D)
• Ability to quantify steelwork materials in a listed format using MS Excel
• Confidence to deal with a client by telephone in order to determine all the relevant technical information required to enable a project to be accurately quantified or contract information to be validated
• Ability to advise the customer to engineering solutions including fire engineered solutions
• Basic paint technology knowledge particularly regarding Firetex products
• Knowledge of basic passive fire protection principles
• Ability to demonstrate and train the customer in the use of Firetex software (FDE) as well as control and issue customer licenses for this software
• Ability to work unaided using the individual’s initiative
• Ability to manage and focus a team in the team leader's absence, able to train and mentor junior members and possess people and leadership skills
• Strong commercial awareness and knowledge of competitor’s materials
• Ability to make strategic decisions
• Ability to write technically challenging correspondence
• Ability to deliver an effective and confident group presentation
• Knowledge of fire engineering principles in order to work with line manager, sales PDMs and managers to then assist FEET to deliver fire engineered solutions where appropriate
• Maintain a full knowledge and understanding of the technical background of the FDE and the specifications
• Clean driving license
Please note you will need the existing right to work in the country you apply for. Sherwin-Williams is unable to sponsor work permits or visas.
Who we are –
At Sherwin-Williams, we're proud of the company we keep — our family of loyal employees. To learn about our company and our culture go to Sherwin.com/careers.
An equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, colour, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic or national origin, disability, age pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, or any other consideration prohibited by law.
We are committed to positively promoting equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. All applicants will be considered for employment on the basis of the job requirements and the individual’s ability and merits in meeting the requirements.