Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
For more information visit www.costain.com
The Preston Western Distributor Road is a new dual carriageway linking the M55 in the north to the A583 in the south. The client Lancashire County Council (on behalf of the City Deal) is delivering the scheme to support the North West Preston strategic housing area accommodating over 5000 new houses. The new road also improves access to the strategic road network and the Enterprise Zone site at Warton and the Westinghouse Springfield’s site at Salwick.
The Preston Western Distributor is approximately 4.3km long with a new Junction 2 on the M55. Other junctions along its length serve the new East West Link Road and the new Cottam Link Road, both part of the scheme. The East West Link Road (3.4km) and Cottam Link Road (0.8km) are both single lane carriageway’s. The scheme will also provide the opportunity for enhanced pedestrian and cycle routes by providing segregated off-road shared cycleway/footway connections to residential areas as well as with the existing Guild Wheel Cycle Route. The road also requires six major structures to be constructed, including two multi-span viaducts over the Lancaster Canal, Preston to Blackpool Railway and Savick Brook.
The scheme commenced in Q4 2019 with a programme of 43 months.
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Understand the Company Health & Safety and Environmental (SHE) Policies and Processes and statutory requirements as they affect the company’s operations and ensure the requirements are implemented.
- Provide operational and functional management advice on the practical implementation of the company’s Environmental policies and processes including external stakeholders such as customers if necessary.
- Develop Environmental Management plans and coordination of review to drive continual improvement.
- Provide advice and guidance, and assist with the obtaining of environmental consents, permits and exemptions such as discharge consents, abstraction licenses and environmental permits.
- Ensure assurance processes are in place to monitor complacent with these permits and that appropriate monitoring is undertaken and recorded.
- Lead on the implementation of Costain’s ‘BE Green’ principals across the contract as part of the SHE strategy in addition to the implementation of best practice principles across the business including stakeholders such as the supply chain.
- Coordinate within the Contract team to ensure actions are undertaken to meet the requirements of the Resource Efficiency Matrix and Climate Change Action Plan. Influence the design and construction teams to strive for the
- Provide operational and functional management with advice on the prevention of accidents, incidents and ill health.
- Lead on the collation data for environmental KPI’s including any client specific measures and put in place plans to meet objectives and targets.
- Ensure biodiversity impacts are measured and the Contract team are aiming to achieve a net-gain in biodiversity by working with the Client, Designers and Contract teams.
- Work with the SHE Manager to develop, manage, implement and monitor the Safety, Health and Environmental Management System
- Establish, manage and maintain relationships with external stakeholders such as local authorities, EA, Natural England etc
- Assist with and undertake SHE Advisory Visits, Inspections and Audits where required of operational sites. Participate, as requested in “Company” Group SHE audits.
- Provide guidance on the preparation of environmental studies and assessments and work Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- Undertake and/or assist with the monitoring, analysis of and reporting of SHE performance. Utilize data to highlight areas of further consideration, evaluation and intervention
- Assist and/or manage the investigation of accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses and other incidents.
- Prepare and facilitate the communication of SHE training/briefings.
- Promote best practice, capture best practice and ensure it is fed-back into the business
- Set standards and lead by example in the management of SHE
- Maintain own level of knowledge and competency in relations to Environmental Management and responsibilities including appropriate qualifications and professional membership
- Experience of delivering presentations, training etc.
- The ability to thrive in pressure situations.
- The ability to empathise, communicate and influence stakeholder and the Contract Team.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
- A passion of environment improvement and Sustainable outcomes.
- Be able to work on own initiative.
- Computer literate.
You’ll be a welcomed member of the wider team, with opportunities to take on additional responsibility, join one of our networks for women, military or LGBT+ staff, and participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador).
Your personal and professional development is important to us. We welcome a discussion about how we can support you with further study, or professional membership or attainment for example.
It is expected that you will work to be a part of the wider project team, living by the programmes expected values. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Costain closely monitors job applications, to ensure an inclusive recruitment process. To ensure we are able to maintain this, and to recruit a diverse workforce, we encourage candidates to complete the diversity form as part of their application so we are able to monitor and improve our approach to diversity. Please note, all responses are anonymous and you do not have to provide a response.
We listened to our employees so our Core Benefits are funded by us and include a Group Pension Scheme, Employee Assistance Programme, Life Assurance, Income Protection and funded membership to a Professional Institute. In addition to this we also offer a Private Healthcare Scheme, Private Dental Scheme, Cycle to Work, Volunteering Days and Save as You Earn Scheme.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
We actively encourage applications from candidates who have a relationship with the armed forces community whether as a currently serving member or reservist, ex-military or wounded personnel or as a member of a service family.