first direct – Senior Engineer iOS
first direct is banking’s best kept secret. We’re a bank that absolutely has its customers at its heart – which is demonstrated through the amazing numbers of awards we win for customer service, not just in the banking sector but across all sectors. We were the UK’s first phone bank and now we’re fantastic digital business, powered by amazing humans.
And we only want to make that better. We have ambitious plans to make the most of our current market position to really grow the first direct business. To do this we’re investing in building a best in class IT team. first direct IT work really closely with other business teams to ensure we create the right solutions for both the business and the customer and to support our strategic plans.
first direct is a member of the HSBC group and is one of the major contributors of profit to the Retail Banking & Wealth Management businesses (that’s everyday banking and investments to you and me). Retail banking services over 50 million customers globally and offers a whole range of banking products and services.
HSBC’s vision is to ‘Build banking’s leading technology company’ and first direct wants to lead the way.
The GCB5 role of the Senior Engineer will play a key role in the cross functional teams at first direct, delivering products into production in ever shortening cycles and helping to drive the continuous improvement of our processes, tooling and engineering practices.
We welcome all talented agile engineers from those who can sit across the whole stack, or specialist front end or back end software developers.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Play a key role in the Engineering discipline at first direct, helping define and implement best practices and standards in the cross functional teams.
· Be responsible for translating detailed designs into robust, scalable and reusable solutions that deliver exceptional user experience driven by the product teams.
· We promote a DevOps culture so you will need to look beyond pure programming and get involved with the deployment and operation of the software we build.
· Show expertise in the latest technologies, processes and tools to deliver frequently, safely and efficiently.
The ideal candidate for this role will have the below experience and qualifications:
· Strong, demonstrable, experience in native iOS development – Swift 4 and Xcode
· A strong team player, with experience of leading and mentoring less experienced engineers
· The ideal candidate for this role will have knowledge and expertise in the following:
• Agile methodologies – Scrum, Kanban, Lean UX, XP
• Agile Tooling – Jira, Confluence, Slack
• Application Monitoring – Splunk, AppDynamics
• CI/CD - tools such as Jenkins, Git, GitHub, Nexus
• Experience consuming REST APIs and utilising JSON for web or mobile applications
In addition to the details listed above, the ideal candidate will have a track record of:
· Have an active interest in learning technologies beyond your current areas of specialism in order to develop full stack capabilities and understand about how software fits into the bigger picture.
· Experience in native Android development – Java, Kotlin, Android Studio
· Experience in working in a retail banking environment or a similar large enterprise
The base location of this role will be first direct's offices in Stourton, Leeds.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment.