Senior Engineer - Highways Safety
Location: Ipswich, Bedford, Sandy or Waterbeach
Kier Strategic Highways is looking to recruit a Senior Engineer for Safety Cycling and Integration Engineering Improvements to work on the Areas 6&8 highways maintenance contract.
Undertake safety engineering and identify improvements and project manage safety, cycling and integration improvement feasibility studies, including value management.
- In the role of Senior Engineer undertake cycling, safety and integration feasibility studies as directed and advised by the Principal Safety Engineer.
- Support the Principal Safety Engineer to identify future studies for potential cycling, safety and integration improvements.
- Manage and review cost expenditure, forecasting and progress reporting including overseeing cost reimbursable brief compilation.
- Co-ordinate the input and support of other colleagues, internal or external, for the successful deliver of improvement proposals through value management.
- Undertake Safety engineering, including review of personal injury accidents, trend analysis and promote sites for improvement studies.
- If an approved Road Safety Auditor undertake Road Safety Audits as assigned by Principal Safety Engineer.
- Ensure value management and report documentation is of high quality.
- Present reports and proposals to the client at Value Management workshops and take minutes and notes as required.
- Attend and advise on progress towards meeting scheme VM delivery target dates at progress meetings with the Highways England.
- Provide details to the Delivery Team relating to the scope of any associated technical surveys.
- Respond to any communications in relation to Watchman’s & HECCCs.
- Support the Principal Safety Engineer in reporting of fatal incidents and attend post fatal investigations with the Police.
- Ensure timesheets are submitted and approved in a timely manner.
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Ideally Degree educated, HNC or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Experience in the highways/construction environment and in the management and improvement of highway assets.
- A good knowledge of Highways England Design Standards.
- Knowledge of accident data and reporting
- A broad knowledge of safety engineering.
- Good team worker and collaboration with colleagues.
- Organised, committed and with a willingness to complete tasks.
- Good verbal communication and writing skills.
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- A full, valid driver’s licence.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate globally across a range of sectors including defence, education, health, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities.
Employing 22,000 people, Kier has the financial strength and technical expertise to undertake some of the most significant construction, civil engineering and service contracts in the country.
Kier is an equality and diversity employer.